Why do people upgrade - they claim for security updates but, what are you doing ?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Never enter information online... Always use your wife's info for online transactions... Yet... You are posting to a public message board? My guess is one of the admins very quickly could review user activity and post logs and locate your IP address - this will quickly show city/state location and in cases that it's an assigned static IP for a business or the like it will give an address. Sure, you could have a VPN, and blah blah blah, but I'm going with good old fashion troll - and as for your 1% comment - I call bullshit! Nite Nite

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Again like many here you don't read do you, I said I post on forums if you read, I said you could find my country and my city. But, then what you going to narrow it down find my cameras and then see my bike outside and then fly here and steal it ? All this from a guy with a cow taking a dump very credible aren't you.

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
if that's the case, Give me access to your NVR, and let me view your camera's whats the big secret? Private message me your Login Credentials thanks !!

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not in my Country ! public insurance on cars, set a value of goods interior and soon as police report filled you get the value.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Jack, setup your network right and leave your cameras alone.. Ive been thinking the same thing for a while, its one of the reasons why i dont hang out here for long, you all are great and all but the the repetitive issues wears on me.

I worked for professional installers for a short time while hoping between jobs, updating firmware? never, not even once.. let alone be stupid enough to supply updates to the customer..

Assume your camera is always vulnerable, any new firmware wont fix that.. plan accordingly.. Is there a critical bug throwing a wrench in things and you have CONFIRMED was fixed with the new version? No? then what the fuck are you doing? Some new feature your more than likely never going to use? is that really worth all this crap?

The problem is those of you with the worst OCD are naturally going to be some of the first deployers of personal Security camera systems, I get it.. your diseased and ensuring every blade of grass is encoded with the highest possible version is really important to your well being.. too bad its not good for your camera's well being.

The OP has a very valid point and all of you dismissing his observation are missing the forest for the trees.. Chrome drops support for ALL external plugins and your first reaction is reflash hardware firmware? sigh, guess next time your tires are worn out just put a new engine in it... tha'll take care of everything.

The worst part about Hik cameras is its Region locking bullshit, the second worst part about Hik cameras is they give all you morons free updates every few months.. combine these two terrible features and we see a never ending parade of people bricking there cameras without ever thinking about it first.

ProTip: Update your software at every possible opportunity, Update your firmware only when you are left with no other recourse... why? Reinstalling Software = Easy, Reflashing Hardware = Fucking Bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting post.

Have been wondering what the advantage was to updating IP camera's to the latest version is.

Currently in the market for my first IP cam and was looking at Chinese/English ones and really don't want to attempt an update. Just not sure if there is a major benefit.
(In one of those guys who updates everything)

Cheers

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
they give all you morons free updates every few months..
No need to be rude - I'm sure most folks that do updates from the manufacturer-supplied firmware expect that it's put out there for a benefit. That's a reasonable expectation, in my view, and does not make them 'morons'.
If you look at Foscam, for example, they strongly encourage updates, for the many reasons for which they created them.

*edit* Example header on all Foscam emails - many of which are about new firmware updates:
Foscam is fully committed to the maintaining the security and integrity of our cameras as well as consistently improving the features and user experience. We strongly encourage all of our users to upgrade to the latest firmware. For the FI9821W V2 720p 1.3 Megapixel Pan/Tilt Wireless IP Camera, the latest available 2.11.1.6 firmware addresses the following issues:
Securing Your Foscam CamerasAs a Foscam customer we would like to ensure that your cameras are secure and updated with the latest firmware. We would also like to tell you about our specials and promotions. If you'd prefer to no longer receive these updates, simply follow the Unsubscribe link at the bottom of this message to opt-out.​

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah yes, foscam.. now those are some serious professionals who'm know what they are doing.. :applause:

update your foscrap every single day for all I care, oh and dont forget to signup for more special promotions.. but if your coming to me and trying to argue that foscam users are not morons you've got an uphill battle son.

If its not broken dont fix it, and in the case of Foscam.. well sorry but Firmware cant fix bad hardware, but feel free to keep trying until you destroy it.. perhaps then you'll get a real security camera instead of a webcam.

Ive probably thrown away cameras than many of you have ever seen, and Ive never done a single firmware update on any camera.. cuz I buy ones that work just fine out of the box.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
but if your coming to me and trying to argue that foscam users are not morons you've got an uphill battle son.
No - I was objecting to your rude generalisation.

perhaps then you'll get a real security camera instead of a webcam.
I only ever bought one Foscam - and it was quite a few years ago.

Ive probably thrown away cameras than many of you have ever seen
It sounds like you need to improve your selection criteria.