Why does Blue Iris require administrator privileges (UAC prompt)?

MicahZoltu

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris demands admin privs in order to run, and I can't think of why that would be necessary. All it needs to do is access my local network and write to disk and do some CPU/GPU processing... none of which should require administrator access.

I know that I can run a service, but that is just hiding the administrative access prompt. I want to understand why it is asking for admin privs since it really shouldn't be.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Blue Iris demands admin privs in order to run, and I can't think of why that would be necessary. All it needs to do is access my local network and write to disk and do some CPU/GPU processing... none of which should require administrator access.

I know that I can run a service, but that is just hiding the administrative access prompt. I want to understand why it is asking for admin privs since it really shouldn't be.
Send Support an email and ask them as nobody here can truly answer your question.

MicahZoltu

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll give it a try. The hope though was to get a more honest answer from the community than a sales person.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I'll give it a try. The hope though was to get a more honest answer from the community than a sales person.
That was an honest answer.

Also, BI is developed and supported by a single person and whenever I've emailed support the answers have been very down to earth and honest and how can he sell you something that you already have?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The hope though was to get a more honest answer from the community than a sales person.
Like mentioned above, BI is pretty much a one-person company and his name is Ken. I've had one other person do some initial triage on two of my trouble tickets a few years back, but that's about it.