Why doesn't MAC address of camera match sticker? (HDW5231R-ZE)

Mark P

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Andy, I bought 4 of the HDW5231R-ZE in black recently through your Amazon page. I've opened two of them and both of them have a MAC address that does not match the sticker. Why is that? The SN does match.

In both cases, the sticker says:
2A:C9:03:7B:E4:xx
and the devices themselves report in IP Config Tool:
38:AF:29:F2:xx:xx

Perhaps you've covered this in another thread, but I could not find it. It seemed very suspicious when I noticed these didn't match. Hopefully there's a straight forward reason.

I also find it strange that Dahua puts these stickers on the mounting base (separate piece in the turret design) and not on the actual camera. I had a failed Lorex camera and when I sent it back, I did not remove the mounting base and was surprised not to see any sticker on the camera itself. It was only when these new cameras arrived did I realize the sticker was on the mounting base.

So when these new cameras arrived and stickers didn't match for MAC, I wondered if the bases were swapped (I started to wonder if it was refurbished unit), but then I noticed that the SN does match, just the MAC that doesn't. So it is the right sticker, but the MAC has changed.

So why is that?

Thanks,
Mark

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Andy, I bought 4 of the HDW5231R-ZE in black recently through your Amazon page. I've opened two of them and both of them have a MAC address that does not match the sticker. Why is that? The SN does match.

In both cases, the sticker says:
2A:C9:03:7B:E4:xx
and the devices themselves report in IP Config Tool:
38:AF:29:F2:xx:xx

Perhaps you've covered this in another thread, but I could not find it. It seemed very suspicious when I noticed these didn't match. Hopefully there's a straight forward reason.

I also find it strange that Dahua puts these stickers on the mounting base (separate piece in the turret design) and not on the actual camera. I had a failed Lorex camera and when I sent it back, I did not remove the mounting base and was surprised not to see any sticker on the camera itself. It was only when these new cameras arrived did I realize the sticker was on the mounting base.

So when these new cameras arrived and stickers didn't match for MAC, I wondered if the bases were swapped (I started to wonder if it was refurbished unit), but then I noticed that the SN does match, just the MAC that doesn't. So it is the right sticker, but the MAC has changed.

So why is that?

Thanks,
Mark
1st lookup attempt

Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd

E0:50:8B Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd.
90:02:A9 Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd.
3C:EF:8C Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd.
4C:11:BF Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd.
9C:14:63 Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd.
14:A7:8B Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd.
38:AF:29 Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd.
BC:32:5F Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd.
A0:BD:1D Zhejiang Dahua Technology Co., Ltd

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua manufacturers Lorex's equipment, so I guess that makes sense.

Mark P

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys, still seems strange that they were manufactured/produced with the wrong MAC address. Seemingly there has to be more to the story.

I'm not aware of how MAC addresses work but Mat from your reply it seems they are assigned to businesses. So who is assigned to the ones that are on the stickers?

Yes, I meant since Lorex=Dahua, that's where I first noticed the Dahua sticker placement (on a Lorex branded item). It was an awkward moment on the phone with Lorex when they asked me the model number and I couldn't find it anywhere as neither the camera nor the directional mounting part had it. Neither of those parts even was marked as Lorex. I checked my other cameras and they all said Lorex on them which made me wonder if the one that failed was not authentic. Later I realized that the Lorex name and the sticker were both on the mounting base that was still mounted to my house. I didn't bother unscrewing it, and now when I put my replacement unit up there, it will have the wrong sticker - oh well :)