Why Don't I Want a USB Powered Moniitor?

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
They work great for a windows based device - I looked into it for my son who ended up buying one for use with his laptop

As I recall, and I do not remember exactly, there needs to be a driver loaded - so it would not work with a phone or android tablet for example. Again, I do not remember the specific details anymore, but you may want to check into it further. I think the technology was called "displaylink" but things may have progressed since I looked into it

http://www.displaylink.com/products/usb-monitors

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought a 17" Dell monitor for $11 on eBay, cables and stand included I just needed to buy a wall mount. With shipping it was $28 and its in great shape. I think you can find much cheaper stuff but that's just me.

Just something to keep in mind, for a monitor that small you can only get to a certain resolution. That size won't give you much better resolution then something cheaper.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought a 17" Dell monitor for $11 on eBay, cables and stand included I just needed to buy a wall mount. With shipping it was $28 and its in great shape. I think you can find much cheaper stuff but that's just me.

Just something to keep in mind, for a monitor that small you can only get to a certain resolution. That size won't give you much better resolution then something cheaper.
Not sure I understand what you are saying? The monitors I'm looking at also include 17". Same size you just purchased? ie AOC 17" Ultra Slim 1600x900 Res. Is that not pretty good resolution?

'

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Correct but at that size, the resolution won't provide a much noticeable difference compared to something u can find out there that would be cheaper. its not exactly a common resolution so that may be why its as expensive as it is.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What will you use it for?
I'll plug it into my server PC now and then to do maintenance on the LAN components, download drivers, install SW like BI, TeamViewer etc. Setting up Cams, and configuring multiple VLans, VPN etc. Most if not all cam monitoring will be done remotely with my laptop and Iphone.

My experience with my home LAN is that I just won't be able to get buy without a monitor connected directly to the server, from time to time. With a portable I could use the monitor at home when i don't need it on the farm, with my laptop to monitor the cams while I do other computer work. ie running BI in the remote mode.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If that's the case and you're looking for flexibility and mobility, it would work just fine. If it were me I'd still look for a cheaper one but it should cover everything you listed without any issues.

Git

Banned
Reaction score
I'll plug it into my server PC now and then to do maintenance on the LAN components, download drivers, install SW like BI, TeamViewer etc. Setting up Cams, and configuring multiple VLans, VPN etc. Most if not all cam monitoring will be done remotely with my laptop and Iphone.

My experience with my home LAN is that I just won't be able to get buy without a monitor connected directly to the server, from time to time. With a portable I could use the monitor at home when i don't need it on the farm, with my laptop to monitor the cams while I do other computer work. ie running BI in the remote mode.

Why don't you just remote in from another pc or laptop? Remote Desktop, Teamviewer, etc? (I use RealVNC)

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well there is a problem here with that Idea. You have to download the control SW on the server PC before you can control the server PC and you need a monitor to do that. Ill have a look at RealVNC.