Why is BI having 'stalls' in records?

pstone

n3wb
Reaction score
Having a constant issue with BI - all versions - when I monitor my cameras, they look fine - but the recordings have pauses in them, loosing all movement that DID happen and then just randomly recording again the movement... here's a video so you can tell what I'm talking about:

This is a camera that is set to record 100% of the time. This is not the camera turning off cause notice the long gaps of nothing happening like there's an error in writing the mp4...

Is there a fix for this? I'm rendering BI recordings useless, and consequently, the software useless :(

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Having a constant issue with BI - all versions - when I monitor my cameras, they look fine - but the recordings have pauses in them, loosing all movement that DID happen and then just randomly recording again the movement... here's a video so you can tell what I'm talking about:

This is a camera that is set to record 100% of the time. This is not the camera turning off cause notice the long gaps of nothing happening like there's an error in writing the mp4...

Is there a fix for this? I'm rendering BI recordings useless, and consequently, the software useless :(
What camera are you using? Have you matched the iframe interval to the fps?
Have you tried recording direct to disk and using bvr format?
What is the cpu usage?
Make sure the hard drive is set to never sleep and windows is set to high performance.
Also it looks like you are recording the substream or have it set to a very low bitrate....

pstone

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera is a QCAM by AMCREST. It's set to 2048 * 1536 at 25fps, 5120 max bit rate but all that shouldn't matter as it records just fine and looks fine on the blue iris machine which is a screamer - cpu 31% so it's not a machine issue... don't think at least... HD never sleeps, windows never sleeps and given that it just has been doing this from day one, it's just odd...

I was using BVR XVID encoding which may be the issue - Trying H264 direct to disc now.

Oh, your question about low bit-rate... that's because the export on BlueIris does that... I can't get a decent export to save my life. They always come out looking like crap but even on the BI machine reviewing the footage, the delays are still there....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The camera is a QCAM by AMCREST. It's set to 2048 * 1536 at 25fps, 5120 max bit rate but all that shouldn't matter as it records just fine and looks fine on the blue iris machine which is a screamer - cpu 31% so it's not a machine issue... don't think at least... HD never sleeps, windows never sleeps and given that it just has been doing this from day one, it's just odd...

I was using BVR XVID encoding which may be the issue - Trying H264 direct to disc now.

Oh, your question about low bit-rate... that's because the export on BlueIris does that... I can't get a decent export to save my life. They always come out looking like crap but even on the BI machine reviewing the footage, the delays are still there....
post an image of your blue iris video config page...
have you matched the iframe interval to the fps?
What EXACT model qcam

pstone

n3wb
Reaction score
Still does the same thing...
Let me check the iframe interval...

pstone

n3wb
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman - thank you for taking the time to check this out for me and it may be an iframe issue..
The QCAM is: Amazon.com : Qcam 1.0-Megapixel POE Weatherproof IP66 Bullet Camera with High Resolution : Camera & Photo (IP66)
It's set to 25fps - Not sure where on BI I need to set the fps.. under encoder options for Max Keyframe Interval (GOP)? It's 30 but it says "MAX" meaning just that - don't think I would need to change this.
You dont set it in BI, everything is done in the camera.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

pstone

n3wb
Reaction score
hmm... well the only thing in the camera is fps which is 25... so.... if there's nothing to set in BI, then.... confused... I do notice that the fps in the recording settings of BI for each camera are not for each camera but are global... I'm setting that to 25 as the QCAM's don't do 30.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
hmm... well the only thing in the camera is fps which is 25... so.... if there's nothing to set in BI, then.... confused... I do notice that the fps in the recording settings of BI for each camera are not for each camera but are global... I'm setting that to 25 as the QCAM's don't do 30.
Did you see the thread I linked to earlier? Did you try using another profile for the camera as suggested in that thread as a solution?
Blue iris does not have a global fps setting...in fact, it has no fps setting at all, the fps setting in the record tab of each camera auto adjust...
If the camera does not have a setting for iframe intervals or keyframes you might have problems..post an image of the camera settings.
Also you have not posted the image of your video config settings...we cant help you if you dont post info.

pstone

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, - Yes - I saw the other thread - different camera (AMCREST) - QCAM did not apply. I did read QCAM does not play with BlueIris well and did change it to 1080p but same issues. For all intents and purposes, it should work now as it's back to 30fps but it doesn't. Just looks like QCAM doesn't play well w/BI. Not much to change in BI setup. All the Foscams work great.

Thanks again for all the info!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, - Yes - I saw the other thread - different camera (AMCREST) - QCAM did not apply. I did read QCAM does not play with BlueIris well and did change it to 1080p but same issues. For all intents and purposes, it should work now as it's back to 30fps but it doesn't. Just looks like QCAM doesn't play well w/BI. Not much to change in BI setup. All the Foscams work great.

Thanks again for all the info!
post your settings, there are other things that can be changed...