Why is this video so bad?

br1dge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
HI Everone - I have a 4MP Turret ipcam from Hikvision, and using Blue Iris on an i5-2400 3.1 GHz w/16 MB RAM.

2 problems with the below video.

Exposure 1/30 - 100% gain,

1st problem is the motion blur/ghosting- its awful, and this is with pretty good light.
Problem 2 is the video (like all of them) locks up after a few seconds, then delays, then picks back up.

Any ideas?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
HI Everone - I have a 4MP Turret ipcam from Hikvision, and using Blue Iris on an i5-2400 3.1 GHz w/16 MB RAM.

2 problems with the below video.

Exposure 1/30 - 100% gain,

1st problem is the motion blur/ghosting- its awful, and this is with pretty good light.
Problem 2 is the video (like all of them) locks up after a few seconds, then delays, then picks back up.

Any ideas?

your noise reduction is set too high...as far as the freezing, what is your cpu usage level? in the camera match the iframe interval to the fps...in blue iris set the receive buffer to 20...in video configuration

br1dge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are so much the man... The frame rate was set to 30fps, but iframe set to 50. Changed both to 30. Receive buffer was set to 3.0, updated to 20. Will test again

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You are so much the man... The frame rate was set to 30fps, but iframe set to 50. Changed both to 30. Receive buffer was set to 3.0, updated to 20. Will test again
30 is overkill lower both to 15...dont forget to turn down the noise reduction...

br1dge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As I would expect, your advice worked to cleann up the picture: will need to monitor CPU to see f that is reason for skipping.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What type of network connectivity do you have between the camera and the BI server? If it has packet loss, that could possibly explain the video skipping.

Good call on the (3D) noise reduction causing the blur. I haven't seen it high enough to do that before.

br1dge

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
direct Cat6 connection to a gigabit POE router. I need to send my kids down to trigger it while I watch CPU utilization

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would suggest UDP or TCP connection change that and is it solid copper wire or CCA ( copper clad aluminum) as I saw some pixels I thought. Also try set back to all defaults and start fresh.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
open a continuos ping to the camera and leave it running all day, then close it after you know hte problem has happned and see if you have had any recorded packetloss.. should be zero packets lost or else you have problems.