Why no trigger event for this blatant motion?

Reaction score
I am at a loss why there was no ONVIF trigger event for these 2 kids walking right into the camera...and yet, this camera has trigger events for other events before & after (kid riding on bike, neighbor walking dog, etc).
I am using the Dahua 5442 IVS zigzag tripwires & intrusion Human AI which so far I thought was pretty darn flawless, especially during daytime. But I do record 24/7 so was able to review this footage based on a different Dahua 5442 Human AI ONVIF alert. Is there a way to playback Blue Iris recording back into the Dahua camera for troubleshooting purposes? I imagine I would have to stick a SD card in there (some cams have SD, some do not), upload using FTP onto card, and....playback through camera GUI to see why it didn't trigger?
EntranceLow x23 2021-04-25 02.05.02.232 PM.jpgno trigger.jpg

LopezEL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure why that didn't trigger but I would move the trip wires and intrusion area to the top of the fence line.

Reaction score
Not sure why that didn't trigger but I would move the trip wires and intrusion area to the top of the fence line.
that could be a good idea. Didn't think of that. Just figured if any pixels moved across the tripwires/intrusion....alert would be generated. But now I see someone could walk up on curb and scoot on by.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I would draw the intrusion box more vertically than horizontal and make sure appears and crosses is checked.

Also looks like WDR is on for that camera? If so and it is too high, that could potentially mess with it.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, move the trip wires up. You have to get a three dimensional view onto a two dimensional device. Where the trip lines are with the kids in the street, near the far curb, there just wasn't enough for the camera to "see" the motion. In fact I'd use an intrusion box instead but again the three dimensions in a two dimension environment comes into play. Have you tried an intrusion box?

Reaction score
Yeah, move the trip wires up. You have to get a three dimensional view onto a two dimensional device. Where the trip lines are with the kids in the street, near the far curb, there just wasn't enough for the camera to "see" the motion. In fact I'd use an intrusion box instead but again the three dimensions in a two dimension environment comes into play. Have you tried an intrusion box?
IVS-2 is the intrusion box.
But now I see my error when it comes to AI stuff. I foolishly thought if a foot crosses a tripwire, Dahua AI would look at entire image and say "Evil HUMAN!". Apparently, it does not work that way. I need that 3D aspect like you and @wittaj say to do. Good to know because my existing tripwire & intrusion setups are about the same for all cameras!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also remember that less is more. Too many IVS rules and the CPU could wonk out just enough and you miss it. Especially if it is trying to figure out multiple IVS rules at the same time.

I think one big intrusion box has you covered. With the appears and crosses, if they somehow get past the line and are then within the box, it will still trigger.

Tripwires have their place, but given your perfect height for this, I would keep it simple.

Reaction score
3 rules:
tripwire for horizontal
tripwire for vertical
single intrusion box (gotta get rid of IVS-4...forgot about that intrusion box).

new IVS.jpg

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you're going to use trip wires, go from the top of the fence then over to the original end points on the right. No need for a second, vertical, trip wire grid that way. Alternately, a single intrusion box configured the same way should work well, too. I've found more than two rules gets less hits that one or two rules.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the zig zag is better than just one line because someone could get past one line before the camera recognizes the object. And some angles the tripwire is a better option.

But the intrusion box has got so good and at your straight on view I would just make the intrusion box and if they are in it, it will trigger.

Reaction score
Yes, the zig zag is better than just one line because someone could get past one line before the camera recognizes the object. And some angles the tripwire is a better option.

But the intrusion box has got so good and at your straight on view I would just make the intrusion box and if they are in it, it will trigger.
would you bet $800 in tires on such a statement? :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of mine are intrusion with the exception of two cams were I am using a tripwire in one direction travel as spotter cams for my PTZ because I only care about it turning to get people coming towards my property and not walking away LOL. Plus I would already have them tracking walking away at that point.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
would you bet $800 in tires on such a statement? :)
If you do not have an SD card in that camera, put one in and watch playback with the IVS rules on and see which one it picks up first and how many you can get past because the cameras is trying to determine the object and watch it stutter (maybe) with too many IVS rules.

I watched my PTZ do that before wildcat informed me of the less is more. I had like 8 IVS rules and it would stutter and a person got very far in before there wasn't overlapping rules.

Reaction score
If you do not have an SD card in that camera, put one in and watch playback with the IVS rules on and see which one it picks up first and how many you can get past because the cameras is trying to determine the object and watch it stutter (maybe) with too many IVS rules.

I watched my PTZ do that before wildcat informed me of the less is more. I had like 8 IVS rules and it would stutter and a person got very far in before there wasn't overlapping rules.
never dabbled with camera GUI playback/events. I do have SD cards in my 5231's. Lemme go tinker...