Why the firmware upgrades?

RBW

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am close to buying my first Hikvision camera but reading this forum has put doubt in my mind due to reading about the firmware upgrades.

Why the need for the firmware upgrades?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why indeed? If it's working fine, then don't touch it. (Unless you like to tinker or want a possible headache).

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 for this, if it works leave it be, it's that simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

acvb

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Read the forums 1st before updating the hikvision firmware. Then decide if you'ld like to spend a few days trying to recover your messed up camera. ie if it aint broke: don't touch it. But who reads today?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
There is typically no reason to upgrade the firmware when it comes to HIK. Typically with technology you get "additional features" with firmware changes or patches to address "security matters".

However, HIK is notorious for taking customizable features and locking there product down more with firmware upgrades which is why most don't even want to do them. Bottom line most will tell you "I want to upgrade firmware because "i can"" However, as most cited below, if it works when you get it, don't f* with it.

Now, with that said - I'm a fan of private label HIK products located here in the US, and I personally choose to pay $10-$30 more per camera depending on model to get a US HIK camera that is firmware upgradable and includes a 3 year warranty vs something from ali/china that is not firmware upgradable and carries NO warranty support - especially when HIK won't even support it or help you.

epcjay

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Where can I get a 2132 for 30$ more on top of AE price?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Excellent question - something I was going to ask!

Now, given this info, is there a definite Hik model to stay away from because the current software has an issue?
Or is there a specific version of software one should look for?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Excellent question - something I was going to ask!

Now, given this info, is there a definite Hik model to stay away from because the current software has an issue?
Or is there a specific version of software one should look for?
Pick the model that best suits your needs. Usually the firmware is the same for all the models, not at the moment with the new WD range being different but I expect they will soon be the same again.