Why the hate for Reolink?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a Reolink 410 running that I purchased before I really knew what I was doing and before I started running Blue Iris. It does work on Blue Iris, although the stream can be finicky at times (probably because of the i-frame issue). What I mean by finicky is that the stream will fail sometimes after I mess with the "camera" settings in BI. In fact sometimes it even stops working when I mess with other cameras in BI too. I usually have to reboot the physical camera for it to start working again. However, once it is running it is stable.

That being said, I would never recommend that someone buy a Reolink camera. I use mine in a non-critical role and it works just fine, but I would not want to trust it in a critical role (ie providing ID quality images) in my system.

Here is my take on the whole situation...... If you feel compelled to have cameras in the first place, isn't it worth the extra money to get a camera that is universally recommended on forums like this. I'd rather have fewer cameras that actually provided a usable image (especially at night) than more cameras that only provide a false sense of security. If a camera can't provide clear enough images to properly ID a subject, the camera is ultimately a failure. In the opinion of most "experts" on this forum, the Reolink models aren't going to provide ID quality images at night and I can confirm that has been my personal experience as well.
Ditto for me. Bought a Reolink before I knew what I was doing. I'm also using it in a non-critical role. I also have to reboot it occasionally. I have none of these issues with my Hik and Dahua cameras.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ditto for me. Bought a Reolink before I knew what I was doing. I'm also using it in a non-critical role. I also have to reboot it occasionally. I have none of these issues with my Hik and Dahua cameras.
Yes. same....

It "works" in blue iris but not correctly.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm now looking at getting hik or dahua from eBay, hard to find our way over priced.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm now looking at getting hik or dahua from eBay, hard to find our way over priced.
a 100-150 dollar camera is not overpriced. Its on the low end for decent cameras.
You are just used to paying 50-70 dollars for subpar junk.
Do this, buy all reolink. Then when your capture is worthless, come back.
One cute SCAM trick reolink uses is that the exposure on some of their cams changes to 1/12 in low light. This results in a GREAT low light static image, but as soon as there is any movement, its a blur.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
a 100-150 dollar camera is not overpriced. Its on the low end for decent cameras.
You are just used to paying 50-70 dollars for subpar junk.
Do this, buy all reolink. Then when your capture is worthless, come back.
One cute SCAM trick reolink uses is that the exposure on some of their cams changes to 1/12 in low light. This results in a GREAT low light static image, but as soon as there is any movement, its a blur.
I have no brand loyalty, buying a camera is overwhelming when you don't know what to look for, and paying for something i nessessary m don't need. Reolink is an easy accessible PoE camera to get in my region without breaking the bank. It was accessibility and easy of return that i went Reolink in the first place, being cheap was a bonus.

After reading a few camera reviews on Dahua and Hik, i know what to buy from online even if it's coming from China and not worry about return because they really aren't that much more expensive from eBay, but they are still expensive when look at retailers in my region.

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have no brand loyalty, buying a camera is overwhelming when you don't know what to look for, and paying for something i nessessary m don't need. Reolink is an easy accessible PoE camera to get in my region without breaking the bank. It was accessibility and easy of return that i went Reolink in the first place, being cheap was a bonus.

After reading a few camera reviews on Dahua and Hik, i know what to buy from online even if it's coming from China and not worry about return because they really aren't that much more expensive from eBay, but they are still expensive when look at retailers in my region.
you are not listening. a good camera will not break the bank either. This can help you:

i was in the same boat so i would never judge but if you are being told and then not wanting to learn then there is nothing we can do for you. fenderman has made valid points that you should not ignore.

this might help you on your journey:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you are not listening. a good camera will not break the bank either. This can help you:

i was in the same boat so i would never judge but if you are being told and then not wanting to learn then there is nothing we can do for you. fenderman has made valid points that you should not ignore.

this might help you on your journey:
I encourage him to purchase all reolink. Some people need to learn the hard way.

JonSnow

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Last paragraph says exactly what I'm doing and that is listing to you guys.

I'm already looking at Dahua and packaging the reolink for return. Now that i know a bit more I can easily source cameras from online sellers and not worry about returns.

My point was reolink is easily accessible in my region with easy return to Amazon as I'm not in the US, while Dahua or Hik are hard to come by with the cameras i want.

Price wasn't the factor in my decision to purchase reolink because as you all have pointed out better camera are not that much more. As I expand I will continue to purchase Dahua and Hik, the 1 reolink I cannot return will probably go in the garage.

Last edited:

K175un3

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello JonSnow, could we ask what country you're in please?