Why use BI ?

Mobius2011

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys

I consider myself still a bit of a newbie with ip cams and wanted some feedback as to why I should use BI?

I did a bit of background research about 2 years ago and BI seemed like the go to software for ip cam roll outs. Ive set about 3 places up with cameras and BI and am generally happy with it's capabilities.

The thing is, Ive only ever used BI and have never known what it's like using an NVR, or even if I should use that instead of BI.

What I do with BI is :

1. Scheduled recordings/profiles
  2. Recording full time with certain cams. Video when triggered + continuous.
  3. Recording via motion sensor. Zones and hot spot, cancel shadows, show object rectangles.
  4. Email alerts.
  5. Access via web page/phone/tablet.

Can NVR's do all that? What other features of BI am i missing out on that I should explore?

I guess why I ask is, others will quote a system with NVR and cams and they are way cheaper than the BI setup, which can cost minimum of $400 just for the pc to run BI. Whereas you can get whole kits including the cams and NVR for a couple of hundred.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/szsinocam-mini-waterproof-4ch-960p-1-3mp-wifi-nvr-kits-no-need-to-set-you-can-the-image-support-mobile-phone-p2p_p4811064.html?prm=1.2.1.0

At what point to do say an NVR wont do what is required, I need BI?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can do most of that to an extent...NVR's have limitations for example, hikvision will not identify triggered motion detection via the web interface or mobile app if you do continuous recording. The mobile app is a huge pain to use for remote viewing. The scheduling is limited compared to BI. There are many more differences..there are many threads that discuss this.
Regardless, if you choose to go with an NVR, please do even consider the junk in the link above.

Mobius2011

n3wb
Reaction score
..NVR's have limitations for example, hikvision will not identify triggered motion detection via the web interface or mobile app if you do continuous recording. The mobile app is a huge pain to use for remote viewing. The scheduling is limited compared to BI.
Ok great, thats the sort of thing i am looking for, thanks.

There are many more differences..there are many threads that discuss this.
Any you can point me to? I did a search of the site before posting here and couldnt find much. There are thousands of pages to go through.

Regardless, if you choose to go with an NVR, please do even consider the junk in the link above.
I gather you meant "don't" instead of "do" consider the junk in the link above? What is considered an excellent NVR?