Wide angle Poe dome

Stugatz

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys. I’m on a search for a wide angle Poe dome camera for under my soffit (second floor). It will be viewing the front of my house/street. Hopefully something that is at least 5MP. Any recommendations would help a great deal. Thanks in advance!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys. I’m on a search for a wide angle Poe dome camera for under my soffit (second floor). It will be viewing the front of my house/street. Hopefully something that is at least 5MP. Any recommendations would help a great deal. Thanks in advance!
Hi @Stugatz

What is your goal? Do you need to potentially ID anything?

Recommend taking some time to review your needs here. Suspect you maybe looking at a camera which may not meet your needs due to 1) dome outdoors, 2) wide FOV 3) soffit on 2nd story house

Stugatz

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you. Doesn’t need to be a dome - what I’m looking for is some facial detail but more of a overview of the front of my house. The wide angle aspect would be key for this to work the way I would like which is why I would mount it higher up to get more of a wide view.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I hear you. Doesn’t need to be a dome - what I’m looking for is some facial detail but more of a overview of the front of my house. The wide angle aspect would be key for this to work the way I would like which is why I would mount it higher up to get more of a wide view.
HI Stugatz

A 8MP camera at 90 degrees has about a 25 feet ID distance ( the distance to 100 ppf density ), and at 112 degrees H FOV it will be about 20 feet.

2 stories up, you're not going to get many good ID images of faces with a wide H FOV camera even if it is 8MP resolution.

For an overview camera - look at some of the reviews by members on the 8MP Dahua or Hikvision ( IPCT brand ) cameras. ( turret styles are typically the preferred form factor by members - so IPC-HDW48xx would be a good place to start imho )