Wifi Camera Headache (Amcrest IPM-HX1)

fsa317

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to setup my home with a few (~4) cameras. I only have ethernet run at 1 of the 4 locations. I bought two cameras, one is connected via ethernet and working pretty stable. The other, an IPM-HX1, is connected via Wifi and is giving me a huge headache. The feed doesn't stay connected regardless of if I'm viewing directly, or via other apps. My general plan was to connect all my cameras to a NVR (currently testing out Sighthound for Mac) and HomeAssistant. The hardwired camera is working pretty well with both apps but the wifi one is not (it works for a minute then stops).

A few questions:
- Is it possible to have a good stable feed using wifi? My coverage in my house is good and no other devices seem to have Wifi issues.

- Any camera recommendations specifically for use with an NVR, HASS over wifi?

One last detail. One thing I noticed is when I ping the camera I get a huge variance in response times. Some pings will be 1ms other 5000ms. Feels like really flaky wifi on the camera to me.

Thanks.

t84a

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those cameras are pretty low end. I would check the signal from your access point. I've deployed Amcrest wifi and they are pretty stable provided you signal is strong. Don't connect to 5G.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently use a wired BI server with 2 wired cams, 1 connected via powerline adapter and 2 wireless Amcrest (both are rebranded Dahua). My house AP is a UniFi UAP-LR and have very good performance using it with my only 2 wireless cams.

I would suggest you run a Wi-Fi anaylyer to see what your network quality is and to determine if adjacent channels are interfering or if you have signal strength issues. I ran this one ==>> here <<==, the pro version has a 5 day trial, and it recommended a channel change from 5 to 10 which I did and it seems to have improved overall network quality and ping times. Both wireless cams stream RTSP well at 720p / 15 fps and 1080p/15 fps.

I'm in a rural setting in the middle of 6 acres and the closest house is over 500 yards away so I likely don't have congestion or interference issues that you may have. Also, your AP may not provide the bandwidth you need to service your cams AND other inhabitant's smartphone, tablets, etc.

It's hard to beat wired cams, though.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Good, stable, and wife I don't go together. You may have something Fairly reliable or even maybe quite reliable but no guarantees. Some people have it work so badly that they have either nothing at all, or worse, had something they think works but actually isn't much of the time but they don't know it because they aren't critically analyzing their video. Might even be one of the few that has a reliable system except when you use the microwave, your cordless phone, or somebody flips on the fluorescent lights in the garage. Or one of many other reasons. Use Wifi for puppy cams and wired everywhere else where it is actually important. If not, you don't want to depend on luck even if you have fairly good luck.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Good, stable, and wife I don't go together. You may have something Fairly reliable or even maybe quite reliable but no guarantees. Some people have it work so badly that they have either nothing at all, or worse, had something they think works but actually isn't much of the time but they don't know it because they aren't critically analyzing their video. Might even be one of the few that has a reliable system except when you use the microwave, your cordless phone, or somebody flips on the fluorescent lights in the garage. Or one of many other reasons. Use Wifi for puppy cams and wired everywhere else where it is actually important. If not, you don't want to depend on luck even if you have fairly good luck.
'Good, stable and 'wife' ? :D I know what you mean, @Kawboy12R. I agree that most cannot enjoy such good performance as I have with my 40% 'Wi-Fi' system. One day when I'm not so lazy and got nothing better to do (like working on my 'Honey Dew' list) I'll wire 'em all up.

But until then, the Chihuahuas in the sunroom and the deer at the side yard will have to be content making their dramatic cameos wirelessly, if not 100% dependably.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Haha, that's funny. "wife i" instead of wifi when doing voice to text. Get a good stable wife and everything else comes easy!

Hey, even my birdhouse and crittercams are wired. I do have a WiFi puppy cam indoors hooked into BI, plus a couple of other low-res view-only ones for cats, visiting grandkids, etc.