WiFi camera viewed through NVR

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've searched this but am unable to find a definite answer. I have a DS-7608ni-i2/8p which have 8 Hikvision poe cameras onboard. I am getting a Hikvision wifi camera and am wondering can the nvr import and display a ninth camera via wifi through my wireless network. I know someone here will know the answer. Thanks in advance for any replies.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a DS-7608ni-i2/8p which have 8 Hikvision poe cameras onboard.
If you already have 8 cameras connected to your 8-channel NVR it's full - you can't add another.
If however you mean that you have 8 PoE ports, not all used, and you want to connect a LAN-connected (WiFi) camera, then this is what to do:

Use SADP or the camera web GUI or DHCP reservations to set a fixed IP address on the WiFi camera.
On the NVR web GUI, under System | Camera Management, choose the unused PoE channel that you want the WiFi camera to appear on.
Select the channel and use Modify to change the mode to Manual instead of Plug&Play
Change the IP address of the channel to match that you have set on the camera.
Set the camera password and click OK.
At that point, the camera should appear in Live View.

Be aware that WiFi-connected cameras can be quite troublesome, with connection drops and jerky Live View and Playback.

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi alastair
Thanks for your answer mate. Yes, I already have 8 poe cameras connected, so going by your answer, it isn't possible to have the NVR "see" and display the wifi camera via my wireless modem/router. Again thank you.
Cheers

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
IVMS-4500 will add it as a 9th camera though if you add a sd card to it you can review what been recorded as Alastair said give it its own ip number and add it to the group

monaro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for that marku2 and alastair. That was basically what I was looking for I suppose. Allowing me to view it away from home.