Wifi Cameras changing MAC ID?

RandomBit

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 2 EZViz (doorbell and security floodlight), a Yoluke and Amcrest Wifi cameras running on BI5 on a Win10 i7 system. I can get everything working fine, until.

At times, the cameras will drop off. Looking in the router, I have all the cameras assigned a static IP based on MAC ID binding. For some reason, the cameras do show up as connected to the network, but with a different IP address due to the MAC ID being different from what was bound to a static IP. If I edit the BI settings to adjust to the different IP, it all comes back. For awhile.

I also use internet blocking at the router to block camera internet access by IP address, preventing a phone-home scenario. Another option is to put all of the cameras on a guest network without intranet access, but give them internet access. But the guest network doesn't have the range from my primary router in my mesh system that does not broadcast guest networks. I'll need to set up repeaters bound to the guest close by the cameras to get coverage.

Is there any solution to the cameras switching MAC ID? I can't keep editing for the new IP address, want to be able to 'set it and forget it'. TIA

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Do any of the devices have web interfaces where you can assign them a static IP that is outside of your routers DHCP range?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are all the cameras changing MAC addresses ? I have seen a camera have two MAC address one for the wired and one for WIFI.
Are the MAC address on the router then same value as displayed in the device ?
Are the static IP address outside the DHCP range.
I have also seen devices change there MAC address when then have been hacked, so they can Bypass the MAC address blocking in the Router

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an Amcrest 2MP and have shut off the WiFi in it, but it still shows in my router. Poor implementation of the configuration on Amcrests part.

RandomBit

n3wb
Reaction score
Do any of the devices have web interfaces where you can assign them a static IP that is outside of your routers DHCP range?
The EZViz don't have a front-facing interface - have to use the phone app. I'll need to go through the delete and re-add to the app to see if I can assign an IP at that time. Otherwise, you can't get into the EZViz cameras. Same with Amcrest. YoLuke, yes, they have a web iface you can edit. I'll look into this option. Thank you for the suggstion.

Are all the cameras changing MAC addresses ? I have seen a camera have two MAC address one for the wired and one for WIFI.
Are the MAC address on the router then same value as displayed in the device ?
Are the static IP address outside the DHCP range.
I have also seen devices change there MAC address when then have been hacked, so they can Bypass the MAC address blocking in the Router
Yes, that's the primary issue - cameras have one MAC ID when I set them up, work fine on static IP for awhile, then they don't show up in the router with the static IP, but with a different DHCP assigned IP and a differrent 6 hex starting the MAC ID. The last 6 hex are the same.

All are accessed over Wifi, not mixing wired/wireless.

Yes, all IPs are outside the DHCP range. Setting DHCP 10-199, these cams are 215,216,217... Other things like printers, servers also in the 200+ range.

Bypass MAC blocking with hacking - yes, exactly what my concern is, and why I don't want them phoning home. They all have different passwords from factory, but that doesn't mean there aren't backdoors. Hence why I don't them to have access to intranet and internet simultaneously.

Thank you both for your suggestions. I may try to revisit both setting a static IP on the cam itself as well as putting them on a guest wireless to block internal access. I can still reach guest devices from the internal network, not the other way.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
a mac address is xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx , that is six pairs of hex numbers
Are you using IVP4 or 6 for your IP address ?

What model of amcrest do you have that does not have a WEB interface ?
Are you having power failures or camera reboots ?
Does a camera use more than 2 MAC addresses, are the address random, multiple addresses

spankdog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like my Lenovo Smart Clocks. Constantly changing mac and ip addresses. Not really a big deal for those devices though.