Will a better graphics adapter help my dedicated BI machine?

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
I use a dedicated pc to run BI - as a service. I do not use it to constantly monitor live action, more to record clips of detected motion.

With an Intel Q9650 8 gigs ram, 7 Pro, ssd os and program drive, spinning drive for video storage, gigabit network - I am running 14 cameras, all 720 or 1080.

My question, would upgrading the primary graphics adapter have any positive impact on the performance of the BI pc?

I rarely am ever at the physical pc, I watch live video via a web page based feed, and remote desktop to that pc to access the BI program.

I guess my basic question is does a better graphics adapter improve BI performance overall?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I use a dedicated pc to run BI - as a service. I do not use it to constantly monitor live action, more to record clips of detected motion.

With an Intel Q9650 8 gigs ram, 7 Pro, ssd os and program drive, spinning drive for video storage, gigabit network - I am running 14 cameras, all 720 or 1080.

My question, would upgrading the primary graphics adapter have any positive impact on the performance of the BI pc?

I rarely am ever at the physical pc, I watch live video via a web page based feed, and remote desktop to that pc to access the BI program.

I guess my basic question is does a better graphics adapter improve BI performance overall?
Probably not...what card do you have in there now?
You are likely better off using your money on a modern haswell i5 that will be more powerful than that system and WAY more energy efficient. Will pay for itself..

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
It is in an HP DC7900 and using the integrated graphics. Lame by today's standards.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is in an HP DC7900 and using the integrated graphics. Lame by today's standards.
A better card will add more heat and power consumption...that cpu does not have integrated graphics so there must be something in the motherboard..what is it?
Regardless a better card is not likely to help..what is your cpu consumption?

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
A better card will add more heat and power consumption...that cpu does not have integrated graphics so there must be something in the motherboard..what is it?
Regardless a better card is not likely to help..what is your cpu consumption?
It has the Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset as a display adapter. That is the mobo integrated graphics.

Chuck

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It has the Intel Q45/Q43 Express Chipset as a display adapter. That is the mobo integrated graphics.

Chuck
Those have very low scores...a card may help, but you will be adding more power draw to an already power hungry pc...I would look at replacing it...

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate all your input fenderman, but I think my basic question is being missed. I am sometime horrible in phrasing a question.

Is any of BI's performance derived from the graphics adapter in it's host machine or is it all based on the CPU?

Suppose two equal machines with the only difference being that one has a low end graphics adapter and the other has a high end adapter, would BI perform better on the machine with the better graphics card?

Thanks

Chuck

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate all your input fenderman, but I think my basic question is being missed. I am sometime horrible in phrasing a question.

Is any of BI's performance derived from the graphics adapter in it's host machine or is it all based on the CPU?

Suppose two equal machines with the only difference being that one has a low end graphics adapter and the other has a high end adapter, would BI perform better on the machine with the better graphics card?

Thanks

Chuck
It would probably depend on the adapter..there is a point where getting dedicated card yields no benefit...in your case, since your adapter is very weak, a card may help a bit but I dont know....in modern machines the integrated graphics are way more than sufficient...In your shoes I would not spend money on an adapter..what kind of performance issues are you having?

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
No problems really, just a little motion pixelation since I added the last 3 of a total of 15 cams.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No problems really, just a little motion pixelation since I added the last 3 of a total of 15 cams.
pixelation can be caused by factors unrelated to gpu/cpu...what version of blue iris are you running? what cameras are having this issue (models?).

chuck

n3wb
Reaction score
pixelation can be caused by factors unrelated to gpu/cpu...what version of blue iris are you running? what cameras are having this issue (models?).
I think 3.63.06 and AOTE cameras. I am using the Aote Mpeg4 RTSP setting.

Interestingly the cam with the most persistent issue is the only one I use a motion detection mask on. There is no pixelation of movement in the masked area, just the unmasked.

Chuck

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I think 3.63.06 and AOTE cameras. I am using the Aote Mpeg4 RTSP setting.

Interestingly the cam with the most persistent issue is the only one I use a motion detection mask on. There is no pixelation of movement in the masked area, just the unmasked.

Chuck
Are you recording with the direct to disc option? Does the pixelation occur only when something is moving in the frame?
Is the camera connected via ethernet?