Will adding new modem change the IP addresses?

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Will adding new Modem change the IP addresses for cameras on my NVR or any other settings?

NVR is currently being picked up on through router and viewed through Blue Iris on a dedicated desktop.

Picked up a Netgear CM600 which I learned here has it's own VPN built in.

Thanks much

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Will adding new Modem change the IP addresses for cameras on my NVR or any other settings?
Possibly, if 1) a device is set to DHCP and/or 2) the router's LAN is on a different subnet, making it's DHCP pool different as well.

Before you swap out anything I would log into your existing router and write down the existing LAN IP, DHCP pool range and any IP reservations made.
Then log into the new router and configure it to have same LAN IP, DHCP pool range and IP reservations as the old router has.

When it's "all good", insure all your cams and BI server have a static IP if not already.

You are able to log into the new router, right?

EDIT: Please disregard this answer; I was in a hurry to get back to the asylum before they discovered I was missing. :screwy:

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

NVR is currently being picked up on through router and viewed through Blue Iris on a dedicated desktop.

Picked up a Netgear CM600 which I learned here has it's own VPN built in.

Thanks much
That unit appears to be a stand-alone Modem with no router functions... It has no control over lan IP.... It also won't have any VPN.... You need to pair this with a quality router...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. I didn't even Google that model #, assumed the user called it a 'modem' as could happen when someone has to ask the kind of question that he did.
And by golly, it IS a modem only (cable) with no routing function.
You know what they say can happen when you "assume" ?

No wonder @fenderman is "the man"!

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That unit appears to be a stand-alone Modem with no router functions... It has no control over lan IP.... It also won't have any VPN.... You need to pair this with a quality router...
Thanks Tony and Fenderman,

I have a new BEFSR41 router (have used this same model for many years with excellent results for my needs) and only use "wired" connections. No wifi in the house at all including cell phone and smart meter. Cell is only on when away from the "asylum" to make sure nobody is trying to check in without an invitation!

Is this router sufficent and if not do you have a reccomendation?

Thanks again for your assistance and Blue Iris has successfully thwarted numerous potential crimes here so far.

*K9 even alerts to the trigger sounds and knows exactly where to run to by the particular sound and barks and lunges at fence!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tony and Fenderman,

I have a new BEFSR41 router (have used this same model for many years with excellent results for my needs) and only use "wired" connections. No wifi in the house at all including cell phone and smart meter. Cell is only on when away from the "asylum" to make sure nobody is trying to check in without an invitation!

Is this router sufficent and if not do you have a reccomendation?

Thanks again for your assistance and Blue Iris has successfully thwarted numerous potential crimes here so far.

*K9 even alerts to the trigger sounds and knows exactly where to run to by the particular sound and barks and lunges at fence!
no it is not sufficient...its time to let it go.
A replacement will depend on your budget.

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
no it is not sufficient...its time to let it go.
A replacement will depend on your budget.
Thanks fenderman,

What router would you reccomend with $200 being max?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks fenderman,

What router would you reccomend with $200 being max?
There are many options, however, I will stick to something that is relatively easy for a network novice. I am assuming that is what you want based on your initial post. Correct me if im wrong.
Any of these would be more than adequate...
https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Dual-Band-Technology-1750Mpbs-AiProtection/dp/B01N08LPPP/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538526504&sr=1-3&keywords=ac66u+asus

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Dual-Band-Technology-1750Mpbs-AiProtection/dp/B01N08LPPP/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538525320&sr=1-7&keywords=asus+router

The more expensive one has a faster processor, better wifi and is newer but you dont care about the wifi...The faster processor may help in certain instances but i dont think you will push those limits.

Asus has very frequent firmware updates which help address security vulnerabilities.

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are many options, however, I will stick to something that is relatively easy for a network novice. I am assuming that is what you want based on your initial post. Correct me if im wrong.
https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Dual-Band-Technology-1750Mpbs-AiProtection/dp/B01N08LPPP/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538526504&sr=1-3&keywords=ac66u+asus

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Dual-Band-Technology-1750Mpbs-AiProtection/dp/B01N08LPPP/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1538525320&sr=1-7&keywords=asus+router

The more expensive one has a faster processor, better wifi and is newer but you dont care about the wifi...The faster processor may help in certain instances but i dont think you will push those limits.

Asus has very frequent firmware updates which help address security vulnerabilities.
Thanks much Fenderman,

I looked through YouTube, online and Amazon reviews and still unable to find out if you can turn off /on wifi on the RT-AC66U B1 router you mentioned above and just run it through wired LAN connections.

I definately need the option to turn off wifi and run wired, and on very rare occasion I'd use wifi.

If the RT-AC66U B1 does not offer that option do you know of one that does you'd reccomend?

Thanks again

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have an RT-AC66u router , you can turn off the 2.4 and the 5.0 radios in the configuration it is Wireless options -> professional tab
Thanks much Southern Yankee and others for the guidance and motivation to finally upgrade. Wifi will be nice on occasion when needed.

Zion

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Thanks, getting ready to purchase and notice both links you posted point to the same router and url's also show same. Other model number much appreciated. *Will go to amazon through ipct.