Will I7-880 cut the mustard?

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I currently have a G1 I5 and it is OK to test BI, but not to run in use.

I may be able to get an Intel I7-880 that will work without having to ditch the rest of the hardware, all I need to know is if it will be able to run my 4 cameras without too much issue?

Yeah I know it's G1, but I hate ditching kit for no reason...

Any help appreciated ;-) BE GENTLE

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's a power hog.... not worth using...buy a gen 3 system or higher..

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That said, you can probably get a pretty decent i5 gen 4 or even 5 refurb for not a whole lot of money.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey Silas. I'm running a 3770k i7 with 11 cams. Mix of 2 and 3 MP. BI reports 4750 kB/s and 250 MP/s totals (approx).
CPU runs about 17 - 19 % . No connections for remote view.

So yup, what they said.

And I think it is actually "Mustard"...

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yeah but the 880 was basically free, and I don't want to buy yet another box, I could just drop it into an existing system and go...

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a little Grammar (History) Lesson..

1: Pass mustard
So, first of all, the expression you’re aiming at is pass muster – a state of being where you’ve been tested and come through with flying colors. There is also the expression cut the mustard, meaning the same thing. However, there is no pass mustard. And cut the mustard is thought to be derived from a mishearing of pass muster in the first place, so this whole thing is just a mess of badly applied condiments.
10 Commonly Misused Expressions From British English | BBC America

So it would seem either is correct with pass muster preceding cut the mustard. I'm just old, I guess!

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah but the 880 was basically free, and I don't want to buy yet another box, I could just drop it into an existing system and go...
Here's my CPU which is an i5 4690k Devils Canyon with 4 cams running, but I have them at a pretty high bit rate. As I add more cams, I'll drop that back a bit. Note that MicroSoft Security Essentials (MsMpEng.exe) is running but that's 25% of total CPU power so you need some overhead. ifgxEM.exe is the iGPU so that is due to BlueIris processing video, I believe as there's no other reason for it to be running. lsm.exe is running because I'm in a remote session from my laptop to my PC.

On all cores the i5 is maybe 25% better and on single cores it is about 50% better than the i7. Quality of RAM can make a difference too. Intel Core i7 880 vs i5 4690K

Bottom Line, You could most likely do it but don't plan on having more cameras in this system.

CPU Usage.JPG

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not free, you'll be paying a Perpetual monthly fee to your electric company to run it... A fee that will exceed the cost of an efficient system...

Sammy2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
True but if you don't have any cash up front it'll get you by for a while. I figure that old i7 probably will cost you about $40 per month though so it isn't long before upgrading your system makes perfect sense.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And sorry to quote @looney2ns "I must have had my head in my ass".
I saw 8800 not 880.

But makes total sense now. Silas, do you guys have indoor plumbing down there?

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Don't need it, coz we is upside down, it all goes up into the air and lands back on europe