Will Lowering a 4K Camera to 2MP Help Night Time Videos?

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 4K camera that I use for an overview of my yard. As the Cliff Notes clearly spell out multiple times, the night time video is very poor when compared to my Dahua 2 MP Starlight cameras. The specifications say this 4K camera has a 1/2.3″ sensor. That left me wondering if lowering the resolution to 2MP would produce a better night time video? I believe I read that the more pixels the larger sensor you need get light in.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No it will not as the "pixel" screen on the sensor is fixed with enough holes to produce a 4k image, whereas a 2 MP camera has a "pixel" screen on the sensor with enough holes to produce a 2MP image. So even if you force a 4k camera to 2MP resolution, the physical sensor doesn't change so it still needs the additional light.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
No, the sensor is actually the limiting factor here. Higher res sensors collect less light per sensor element; sitting the camera to emulate a lower res camera doesn't change it.

Add light or swap camera for a more sensitive lower res one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks, I figured it wasn't going to be that easy.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would be nice if it were!

archedraft

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, the sensor is actually the limiting factor here. Higher res sensors collect less light per sensor element; sitting the camera to emulate a lower res camera doesn't change it.

Add light or swap camera for a more sensitive lower res one.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I am planning on moving it to another location with a much better light source hopefully this week. It currently is in a good spot for my new LPR camera I pick up from Andy during his Black Friday Sale :)