Will running different camera brands on Amcrest NVR cause a problem?

Jimbob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

So far, I have ordered 7 Amcrest cameras.

I am planning to test them with Blue Iris, and then eventually (if everything goes well) install an Amcrest 8-channel NVR to handle the recording. (My Blue Iris computer is an old AMD Athlon II with 3gb RAM, so it is severely under-powered for recording. I'm just going to use it for real-time testing to make sure the cameras are ok.)

I need one more camera... and the one I want is a different brand. Does that matter? Will it mess things up if I use all the same brand (Amcrest) stuff except for one (or possibly two) cameras?

(The "off-brand" camera I want is onvif compliant.)

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

So far, I have ordered 7 Amcrest cameras.

I am planning to test them with Blue Iris, and then eventually (if everything goes well) install an Amcrest 8-channel NVR to handle the recording. (My Blue Iris computer is an old AMD Athlon II with 3gb RAM, so it is severely under-powered for recording. I'm just going to use it for real-time testing to make sure the cameras are ok.)

I need one more camera... and the one I want is a different brand. Does that matter? Will it mess things up if I use all the same brand (Amcrest) stuff except for one (or possibly two) cameras?

(The "off-brand" camera I want is onvif compliant.)

Thanks!
it wont mess anything up but the motion detection may not work...
no point in running blue iris if you are not recording you can use the NVR for live view...you are just using lots of power running an old outdated amd machine for no purpose...fyi a 100 dollar third gen i5 desktop is likely sufficient to run your load using blue iris.

Jimbob

n3wb
Reaction score
it wont mess anything up but the motion detection may not work...
Will it break motion detection for *all* the cameras (including the Amcrest)? Or will it break motion detection for only the off-brand camera?

... fyi a 100 dollar third gen i5 desktop is likely sufficient to run your load using blue iris.
I was under the impression that 8 cameras would be a big load for Blue Iris, and it would require at least an i7 and 8gb of RAM? I know this is a bit much to ask, but my computer knowledge is not very good. Can you link me to where I could find a $100 machine that might work for my Blue Iris needs? (Or let me know the specs (what type of processor and how much RAM), and I can try to google something or check my local craigslist.)

Thanks again for your help!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will it break motion detection for *all* the cameras (including the Amcrest)? Or will it break motion detection for only the off-brand camera?

I was under the impression that 8 cameras would be a big load for Blue Iris, and it would require at least an i7 and 8gb of RAM? I know this is a bit much to ask, but my computer knowledge is not very good. Can you link me to where I could find a $100 machine that might work for my Blue Iris needs? (Or let me know the specs (what type of processor and how much RAM), and I can try to google something or check my local craigslist.)

Thanks again for your help!
it wont break anything, it may not work for that camera...
fyi amcrest is simply dahua...better off buying dahua with many more options
no, it does not require an i7--i7 is a completely meaningless term...search the forum for elitedesk, prodesk and optiplex...see the wiki on top for selecting hardware...