Will this set up work for what I need and is it a decent price?

Gizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought 4 Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS, I'd eventually like to add 2 more of the same cameras and maybe one PTZ. I'd like to record 15fps, 24h a day, and keep at least a weeks worth of footage saved. I'm looking at a computer to strictly run Blue Iris and I found a one for $250CAD. Iwas wondering if a Dell Optiplex 990 (the really little one) with Intel i7-2600 3.4 ghz, 8gb DDR3, and a 4TB WD purple drive would be fine? I'll have Windows 10 and BI on an SSD and have the 4TB in the DVD bay.

I was also wondering if I could somehow change cases in these little machines. There wouldn't any more room internally and I think I would like to add more storage at a later date. I'd also like to add it to my rack.

Good enough computer for my needs? Decent price?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just bought 4 Hikvision DS-2CD2142FWD-IS, I'd eventually like to add 2 more of the same cameras and maybe one PTZ. I'd like to record 15fps, 24h a day, and keep at least a weeks worth of footage saved. I'm looking at a computer to strictly run Blue Iris and I found a one for $250CAD. Iwas wondering if a Dell Optiplex 990 (the really little one) with Intel i7-2600 3.4 ghz, 8gb DDR3, and a 4TB WD purple drive would be fine? I'll have Windows 10 and BI on an SSD and have the 4TB in the DVD bay.

I was also wondering if I could somehow change cases in these little machines. There wouldn't any more room internally and I think I would like to add more storage at a later date. I'd also like to add it to my rack.

Good enough computer for my needs? Decent price?
avoid the second generation i7 because the hardware acceleration is limited to 1080p cameras...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
3rd + are good though?
I believe so...4th gen for sure...5th gen should eventually support h.265 HA, if he implements it, while 4th gen and earlier cannot support that...

Gizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
I believe so...4th gen for sure...5th gen should eventually support h.265 HA, if he implements it, while 4th gen and earlier cannot support that...
Would I be fine with a 4th gen or higher i5 to save some money? or would I need i7 for 6 cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Would I be fine with a 4th gen or higher i5 to save some money? or would I need i7 for 6 cameras?
you should be fine with 6x4mp cameras and a modern i5...note in the future avoid domes use turrets and if low light and night vision are important look at low light 2-3mp cams...

Gizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
you should be fine with 6x4mp cameras and a modern i5...note in the future avoid domes use turrets and if low light and night vision are important look at low light 2-3mp cams...
Ah rats, I have some 4MP swann turrets right now that don't work with BI and thought these cameras would be comparable. I'm in Canada and can't find many good cameras for a good price around here that are available to me. Maybe I'll keep looking. Hopefully I'll find a 2-3MP turret for even cheaper than a 4MP

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah rats, I have some 4MP swann turrets right now that don't work with BI and thought these cameras would be comparable. I'm in Canada and can't find many good cameras for a good price around here that are available to me. Maybe I'll keep looking. Hopefully I'll find a 2-3MP turret for even cheaper than a 4MP
read the dahua starlight thread as well as the hikvision low light camera thread...the low light cams will actually cost more than the 4mp..they are much better..

Gizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
read the dahua starlight thread as well as the hikvision low light camera thread...the low light cams will actually cost more than the 4mp..they are much better..
I'll look into it, thanks. Would 2CD2325FWD-I or DS-2CD2335 be a better bet?