Will this setup work?

YoKev7

n3wb
Reaction score
So I think I've lurked and researched long enough that I am going to commit to purchasing a first IP camera. But I want to make sure I am getting the proper accessories as well.. Here is my planned setup and I am open to suggestions:

*Camera: I am planning to go with the Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I (2.8 mm lens) for the camera, based off of positive experiences from many folks on this forum and elsewhere and the location I have in mind above my front door.

*Switch: This is where I could use the advice -- I only have one free spot on my Airport Extreme router currently. I'd guess I would need to use this to plug in a PoE switch for future expansion. But which is recommended for my small build? I plan on having two cameras soon, and MAYBE 4 after a long while. That said, would the 4 PoE-port Giga or Mega version of one these be applicable to the job (link below)? Overkill?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BP0SSAS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=34375G5H35ZY1&coliid=I29OJL9TR9QZT4&psc=1

I am planning to try out Sighthound on an iMac and see how things work out once we're all hooked up. I am excited to start the process :sentimental:

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So I think I've lurked and researched long enough that I am going to commit to purchasing a first IP camera. But I want to make sure I am getting the proper accessories as well.. Here is my planned setup and I am open to suggestions:

*Camera: I am planning to go with the Hikvision DS-2CD2332-I (2.8 mm lens) for the camera, based off of positive experiences from many folks on this forum and elsewhere and the location I have in mind above my front door.

*Switch: This is where I could use the advice -- I only have one free spot on my Airport Extreme router currently. I'd guess I would need to use this to plug in a PoE switch for future expansion. But which is recommended for my small build? I plan on having two cameras soon, and MAYBE 4 after a long while. That said, would the 4 PoE-port Giga or Mega version of one these be applicable to the job (link below)? Overkill?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BP0SSAS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=34375G5H35ZY1&coliid=I29OJL9TR9QZT4&psc=1

I am planning to try out Sighthound on an iMac and see how things work out once we're all hooked up. I am excited to start the process :sentimental:
Technically this will be more than sufficient. http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1008P-100Mbps-8-Port-802-3af/dp/B003CFATT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441318871&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+switch
Only reason to pay more for the other unit is if you plan on plugging some additional devices into the ethernet ports that would benefit from gigabit speeds....
The difference is only 30 dollars so its not big deal to splurge.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.