Will this wiring method for everything work ok?

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
pretty new to setting up IP cameras, will this set up work? picture attached.
our building is setup into 2 blocks, 30 metres apart.
I currently have a network cable running down the centre from front block to the back block.
I am planning setting up 3 cameras down the back connected to a POE switch down the back then use the single network cable to connect the back block to the front block.
in the front block I will have 3 more cameras on a POE switch, the front and back POE switch both connected to the already existing network switch that has my PC on it and connect the NVR to the existing switch.
will this setup work ok??

Attachments

DaveP

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
'May' require an additional cable from the nvr to the network switch (so one used as input and one for output.. thats if your using the pc for viewing the recorded streams).

Depending of course on the nvr, camera Mp / frame rates and the pc spec, once all the the set up work has been done using the pc, then a monitor connected to the nvr would do the job and save the pc going into melt down if you wanted to go on line and play farmville :laugh:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That setup will work..ive never heard of needing an additional cable for input and output....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
What you will ideally need though is a gigabit switch for your 'normal network switch', if you don't already have this.
Apart from your normal traffic - you will have 3 x 5Mpbs plus 3 x 5Mbps feeding into it from the cameras (the 5Mbps is a middle-of-the-road guess as you haven't said what cameras or resolution / framerate etc) and you will also be pulling maybe 8-10Mbps when using Liveview on the NVR and maybe more if you also use Liveview sometimes on the cameras.
So the feed to the NVR could have traffic levels of say 50Mbps which would still work OK on a 100Mbps switch but leave little overhead for other traffic.

wozzzzza

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks all, yeah the normal network switch I have is a gigabit switch. cameras will be 3MP cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
thanks all, yeah the normal network switch I have is a gigabit switch. cameras will be 3MP cameras.
Your setup makes use of one of the advantages of ip cameras vs analog hd...you dont have to home run each camera.