Will Windows 11 Make Windows an even more corroborated mess?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Multiple reports suggest local accounts are still possible with early Win11 builds, using similar hoop jumping done for Win10. It remains to be seen if it will be fully locked down or not.

One misunderstood thing is that even with a MS account login, you can still use the computer without internet access, as long as the login has already been established on that machine.

Still, I don't have my MS account set as a login for any computers currently. I may set up one of my old machines that way and sniff what data it sends.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
One misunderstood thing is that even with a MS account login, you can still use the computer without internet access, as long as the login has already been established on that machine.
My question is whether installation will even be possible without logging into your Microsoft account, even if a local user can be enabled. I prefer not to associate my Microsoft account with the laptops that I donate; I just install Windows 10 with a local user and leave it to the recipients to decide what they want to do.

I would try installing Windows 11 to figure out some of the answers on my own, except that I don't have a single personal CPU that meets Windows 11 requirements. :(

Reaction score
See here for enabling instructions for on-chip TPM for some even older Intel chips:

Thanks for that link. I hadn't considered enabling TPM via the BIOS. I might have a chance of installing Windows 11 on at least one CPU after all.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can put the task bar icons to the left. However, so far as I know, the Windows 10 menu is icons not a list without an option to use the old style.

It seems to be a new feature. I set up a new laptop for a friend a few weeks ago. Couldn't find a way to turn the account log in off.

I'm surprised PC magazines etc haven't led a rebellion. It's obvious what is probably happening here - my guess is MS is going to make money out of selling your data as once you're logged in, they can potentially identify everything you do, every website you visit, every app you use, maybe even what you write using text recognition / voice recognition etc. That could be valuable data - a website potentially ideniifes you by your hardware signature or MS generated code or licence and if MS have sold them your data, then could potentially target you with adds. Poteially, this is bye bye privacy.

I've managed to dodge it on my own pc so far by simply clicking out of the update set up when the dialogue asks you to create / enter a MS log in. For how long though remains to be seen. It re-sets up every few weeks when I turn on.
Yeah I never used Cortana, or their browsers...

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just ordered an ASUS TPM Chip/Module from:

I don't like that they are not a HTTPS secure site and that they don't have PayPal but taking a chance, did read reviews, other than video card complaints and back orders, no one was complaining about fraud/scam.

1624930578650.png

Looks like they also sell one's for Gigabyte motherboards too:
1624930630206.png

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hold your horses and TPM chips. MS has announced that they're "rethinking" things to allow more machines to be able to run Win11. It seems there are still around 25 million still running XP, and that's 30 years old already. Where'd the time go???
Oh Well there goes $12 :)

1624931097946.png

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Curious: why buy TPM module now? Win10 has years of life left. If these TPMs really are needed, lots will be manufactured after chip shortage over. I understand if you can get it cheap now and keep it around until needed, but if TPM becomes a real thing, I expect lots will be made.

Reaction score
Hold your horses and TPM chips. MS has announced that they're "rethinking" things to allow more machines to be able to run Win11. It seems there are still around 25 million still running XP, and that's 30 years old already. Where'd the time go???
Enforcing TPM along with allowing only a subset of recent CPUs is guaranteeing that a lot of otherwise usable hardware will be heading straight to the landfill in 2025. It's about as environmentally unfriendly a move as Microsoft could ever make, which no doubt several people have already pointed out to Satya Nadella.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious: why buy TPM module now? Win10 has years of life left. If these TPMs really are needed, lots will be manufactured after chip shortage over. I understand if you can get it cheap now and keep it around until needed, but if TPM becomes a real thing, I expect lots will be made.

Since everyone is Out of Stock, mainly because of scalpers, my thought at $12, if I get one, kewl, will try WIN11 on one of my PCs. $15 was my limit :) You ought to see what scalpers are charging for these...

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
What do you mean by that? So you installed the WIN 11 dev build? How is BI 'a lot smoother'? Could you explain that?
I managed to install it, I don't know if its a placebo effect, but going through individual camera streams on Blue Iris feels snappier. Also, there is a lot less noticeable lag when it comes to live preview and playback. The new Windows 11 shell feels like a cheap imitation of MacOS, perhaps it will take time for Microsoft polish things out. However, performance-wise, its a tad bit more responsive, and nothing has crashed on me yet. :) Its arguable stable as per other forums, but I still don't recommend installing this build on your everyday system especially when Microsoft continues to push build updates on a more frequent basis now.

Windows 11.JPG

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
See here for enabling instructions for on-chip TPM for some even older Intel chips:

I guess scalpers have taken over the TPM chip pricing now :( Some motherboards seems to have this chip integrated, by going into BIOS settings, Miscellaneous, Security, and setting TPM to enabled (its disabled by default). Most laptops have this built in, especially those with fingerprint / Windows Hello Iris scanner feature