Win7 or Win10

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's time for me to decide if I'm going to take the free upgrade. Should I move my BI installation to Win10? Or stay with Win7?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
+1 for Windows 10, much more reliable for me and quicker (less resource intensive).

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I seem to recall not being able to receive mobile alerts from BI on Windows 7 following it's last upgrade. Has that been working for you all this time?

I took the plunge, but miss the older OS. As others have pointed out. Windows 10 is one of the most stable versions of Windows thus far. You just need to get use to the new look, etc. :sad2:

TiGeR

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Win10 and then install ClassicShell.net for that friendly Win7 look 'n feel.

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The OS has no effect on alerts.
I stand corrected. The last version of BI supporting Win 7 stopped the alerts once Ken released the newer version.

We faced possible issues if using the current BI version with Windows 7. That more/less summed up why I converted. BI is more important to me then the OS.

That folks should speak loudly if your still in the dark and no using it

TiGeR

Last edited by a moderator:

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any good source for a good price on Win 10 64bit Pro?

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I avoided win10 for a long time until picking up a clearance laptop with 10 for the BI server install. It runs like a champ, Win7 never ran this nice for me.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Did you build it? If there is a windows 7 key on the system you can use it to activate 10.
Yes I built the system. I am "temporarily" running Win 7 but need to get a dedicated OS for this computer.

w1zofaz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run win 7 pro 64. Of course since I can not get a new PC yet I run BI on my main PC. So afraid to do the win 10 update because I have so much stuff on this pc and lots of it older software.

mikeduncan

n3wb
Reaction score
As a person that is loathe to upgrade anything that works right I totally understand. What I do in these situations is make an image of the hard drive with Macrium Reflect Free AND/OR if I am committed to making the upgrade work and just need to keep a copy of the machine hanging around "just in case" I use VMware vCenter Converter to convert the physical machine to a virtual machine that I can load up later. Of course you will need another hard drive to do these backups on, but I do both of these things usually just to have it covered.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I plan on staying with Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't have any complaints with 7 and BI runs without any problems. Another reason I'm staying with 7 is that I have an older program (VersaCheck) written for Windows XP that will not work with 7 or 10. I can run a virtual XP machine in Windows 7 and the older program works perfect. I doubt if Windows 10 has the virtual XP mode.