Win7 or Win10

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I plan on staying with Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't have any complaints with 7 and BI runs without any problems. Another reason I'm staying with 7 is that I have an older program (VersaCheck) written for Windows XP that will not work with 7 or 10. I can run a virtual XP machine in Windows 7 and the older program works perfect. I doubt if Windows 10 has the virtual XP mode.
@Larebear, take a look at this video a young kid did. He gets a little excited but gets the job done. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Lonster

n3wb
Reaction score
I stand corrected. The last version of BI supporting Win 7 stopped the alerts once Ken released the newer version.

We faced possible issues if using the current BI version with Windows 7. That more/less summed up why I converted. BI is more important to me then the OS.

That folks should speak loudly if your still in the dark and no using it.

I plan on staying with Windows 7 Ultimate. I don't have any complaints with 7 and BI runs without any problems. Another reason I'm staying with 7 is that I have an older program (VersaCheck) written for Windows XP that will not work with 7 or 10. I can run a virtual XP machine in Windows 7 and the older program works perfect. I doubt if Windows 10 has the virtual XP mode.

These posts seem contradictory. Does BI run the same (all features) with both Win7 and Win10?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
These posts seem contradictory. Does BI run the same (all features) with both Win7 and Win10?
The first post is incorrect. There the OS has no bearing on alerts.
With windows 7 you cannot run BI as a service AND use hardware acceleration. I have all systems but one (soon to be converted) running BI on W10. No problems.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't run BI as a service and can't use hardware acceleration because I'm using Nvidia discrete graphics, so I'm still on BI v4.2.7.1 x64. I'm still hoping that someday Ken will include HA support for Nvidia. Windows 7 has been great for me, so will stick with it. :)

Tiger_Claw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I should have been a little bit more detailed in own response.

This is what I seem to remember.

I was all fat dumb and happy with BI version 3 running on my Win7 machine in 2015. There was mention of BI version 4, but upgrading would cost a new license fee and I really had no need for anything beyond version 3. What I didn't realize is that when version 4 was released that they killed (stopped) mobile alerts from working on version 3.

It was more/less a push to upgrade your current version of software. Ok; no problem, right? Well... Version 4 isn't made to support Windows 7. I was informed by BI support that there existed possible memory leaks, etc., if I stayed with Windows 7.

So I guess you know what happened next right? Right!. I upgraded to that thugly looking, but stable Windows 10 OS.

Tiger

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I should have been a little bit more detailed in own response.

This is what I seem to remember.

I was all fat dumb and happy with BI version 3 running on my Win7 machine in 2015. There was mention of BI version 4, but upgrading would cost a new license fee and I really had no need for anything beyond version 3. What I didn't realize is that when version 4 was released that they killed (stopped) mobile alerts from working on version 3.

It was more/less a push to upgrade your current version of software. Ok; no problem, right? Well... Version 4 isn't made to support Windows 7. I was informed by BI support that there existed possible memory leaks, etc., if I stayed with Windows 7.

So I guess you know what happened next right? Right!. I upgraded to that thugly looking, but stable Windows 10 OS.

Tiger
That is incorrect. v4 runs fine on w7 except for hardware acceleration when run as a service.