WINDOWS 10 NEW COMPUTER

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have my new computer arriving from Dell tomorrow and need some guidance preping it for BI. It will be deticated to BI only. I’ve read he several ways to change settings in windows to make it more responsive to BI and about cleaning windows completely before proceeding. Not sure if this is correct but if I cleaned/reinstalled windows from scratch wouldn’t that also erase all the programs that make the computer work ie: dvd, video etc. I’m not tech or computer savy so I don’t want to cause more problems for myself. Should I just leave the computer as is and install BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have my new computer arriving from Dell tomorrow and need some guidance preping it for BI. It will be deticated to BI only. I’ve read he several ways to change settings in windows to make it more responsive to BI and about cleaning windows completely before proceeding. Not sure if this is correct but if I cleaned/reinstalled windows from scratch wouldn’t that also erase all the programs that make the computer work ie: dvd, video etc. I’m not tech or computer savy so I don’t want to cause more problems for myself. Should I just leave the computer as is and install BI.
No...windows has all the software you need....the drivers will automatically install...use the microsoft media creation tool to make a bootable usb to clean install w10.

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok sounds like a plan. 4gb USB big enough?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No you'll need 8gb. Also I found using Rufus made things easier after downloading the Windows 10 iso file with the media creation tool.
Maybe I'm dense but just had no luck with microsoft's instructions for a bootable usb. Rufus worked quickly using the defaults. Also you will want a usb 3.0 for a quicker install. But 2.0 works too.

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think maybe you are referring to the 'cleaning' of windows by removing the telemetry stuff?

Stanley71

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Silas, I have no clue what your talking about; what I was referring to was bloatware, I think that’s the correct term, that comes with a new computer. Maybe that’s what your talking about, just a bit of translation confusion. I researched what Mr. F and Noloc said as it sounds simple until you start reading and then it gets very confusing. For someone with a bit of knowledge it may be simple but to me it’s all Greek and requires a bit more studying. Just another challenge for an old fart trying to learn something new.

Is it true 3 out of 4 people get skin cancer in your country? Just read an article about the dangers of living down under. Lots of nasty critters also.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You will probably be fine with the dell as is. Sure a clean windows install is preferable, but you can always do it later. It's really not that complicated. Hell, I did it.

As to Silas, the most dangerous thing down there is the dry wit.:)

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The 'telemetry' is the settings in windows 10 that reports a lot of what you do back to M$, I am also including the other security stuff like using you as a download point etc etc, all stuff that has been included in windows 10 that most users are not aware off, whilst not bloatware as such, it is fucking annoying that you have to spend time either disabling or removing options that M$ seem to think you need !!

As for the medical question, hmm probably, but it would be generic as in moles, sun spots etc as opposed to outright BIG C

And the nasty critters, yup, but easy to fix, you wrap the redback in its web around a snake and then throw it in the river and the croc gets it, or the sea and the shark gets it, then sit back with a tinnie and a roo and laugh till the sun goes down (and the mozzies get you)

Miss NoLoC F U :)