Windows 10 Pro box hangs every 10-14 days or so...

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So I have a machine I built with spare parts from my old server to run Blue Iris.

It is built with what should be highly reliable components. A SuperMicro Board, A XEON processsor with an Intel graphics, ECC memory and a RAID 0 drive.

I installed Windows 10 Pro and I run BI, BI tools and a Dahua Sunet/sunrise service.

Every 10-14 days or so, the machine just hangs. The last time it did, I rebooted it and it started running a Windows update. I managed to permanently disable that (I thought I had done that)... and it hung again. I looked at the log files- and I don't see anything occurring around the time of the crash. I noticed that windows defender pulled an update, but that was 24 hours earlier. I disable that as well.

I have around 10 cameras and it uses maybe 25-40% of the CPU. I have not yet enabled substreams.

I don't use Windows very often anymore. Anyone here have any pointers on this?

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks... I went through the process of enabling all of my substreams. My CPU usage is now riding 17-25%. Not sure if that will help with the system crashes. Perhaps a weekly reboot is in order.

Of note, in going through the process I found two of my cameras were not doing direct to disk. Not sure when that happened but once I fixed that the web server responded much quicker to camera changes...

Thanks.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a Windows home box, on an I7-3770(?), 16G ram. It hangs every day or three. Just locks up. No Blue Screen, just freezes. No rhyme or reason that I can find. I'm all ears for troubleshooting tips! I've wandered through event viewer, nothing. I don't know if BI is causing it or not, but I'm not convinced it is.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Windows home box, on an I7-3770(?), 16G ram. It hangs every day or three. Just locks up. No Blue Screen, just freezes. No rhyme or reason that I can find. I'm all ears for troubleshooting tips! I've wandered through event viewer, nothing. I don't know if BI is causing it or not, but I'm not convinced it is.
Step one. Confirm that windows was clean installed using the Ms Media creation tool. If Blue Iris was causing your lockups the rest of us would have the same problem and we don't.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Step one. Confirm that windows was clean installed using the Ms Media creation tool. If Blue Iris was causing your lockups the rest of us would have the same problem and we don't.
Yeah, it is an older machine that has been running BI for years, and started this over the past 6 months. It was a clean re-install about 3 years ago. BI seems to be fine, CPU is around 20% with 9 cameras right now. I jsut really don't want to have do reinstall Windows completely. :oops:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it is an older machine that has been running BI for years, and started this over the past 6 months. It was a clean re-install about 3 years ago. BI seems to be fine, CPU is around 20% with 9 cameras right now. I jsut really don't want to have do reinstall Windows completely. :oops:
If you are going to reinstall might as well wait for the new windows release coming.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@IAmATeaf It's not only the potential for lockups due to driver changes, for one thing anyway, it's what else they "tuck in under the hood". As it is Win10 is constantly phoning home reporting everything, kind of like Google and Alexa. Not a pleasant thought to me already and they keep adding to it.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you are going to reinstall might as well wait for the new windows release coming.
@IAmATeaf It's not only the potential for lockups due to driver changes, for one thing anyway, it's what else they "tuck in under the hood". As it is Win10 is constantly phoning home reporting everything, kind of like Google and Alexa. Not a pleasant thought to me already and they keep adding to it.
Yeah, I might wind it back and go with Windows 8...

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
with proper setup I have had zero issues with Windows 10 and Blue Iris.
99.9% of any problems I have had were my own doing.
and that last 0.1% has been related to occasional wonky software updates (which were fixed easily by rolling back to the previous version of BI until the next update came out...which as we all know is very frequently!)
Do not enable auto-update in Blue Iris.
Disable Windows updates.
Follow the guides and recommendations of long time forum members for setup, usage, storage, etc.
Properly configure your firewall and there should be no worries about unwanted internet 'snooping'. Anything you don't want passing traffic in or out of your local network is within your control.'
Anyway, that's my two cents.

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
with proper setup I have had zero issues with Windows 10 and Blue Iris.
99.9% of any problems I have had were my own doing.
and that last 0.1% has been related to occasional wonky software updates (which were fixed easily by rolling back to the previous version of BI until the next update came out...which as we all know is very frequently!)
Do not enable auto-update in Blue Iris.
Disable Windows updates.
Follow the guides and recommendations of long time forum members for setup, usage, storage, etc.
Properly configure your firewall and there should be no worries about unwanted internet 'snooping'. Anything you don't want passing traffic in or out of your local network is within your control.'
Anyway, that's my two cents.
Yep, I've disabled all of the Windows 10 pro update crap which they don't make particularly straight forward in windows 10, and windows defender updates.

At this point I just need to wait 3 weeks to see if all of this was helpful.

I am now onto these live .sem stuck messages that popped up when I added the sub streams. Seems to just slow things down, but that recovers...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
My Windows 8 Pro instance on my VM is extremely stable and highly reliable. I don't give a crap about the features of the OS other than its ability to host BI and BI Tools..
Windows 10 is super stable. I run it on over 20 systems with zero problems. Perhaps your issue is the VM if you are using it with BI or some of the "spare parts" you are using...

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Windows 10 is super stable. I run it on over 20 systems with zero problems. Perhaps your issue is the VM if you are using it with BI or some of the "spare parts" you are using...
I am not using a VM with BI... Running Windows 10 Pro bare metal. I'd love to virtualize the whole thing but the Intel Sync passthrough was a hassle. I virtualize Windows 8 on ESXi to run HS and it is fantastic. Stable and maintainable.

I am sure Win 10 is super stable in most configurations but that hasn't been the case for me. This hardware was my old server so it has ECC memory, redundant drives, redundant power supplies, a XEON process and the like. It should be far more reliable that the refurbished Office machines most people are running on. That said, power supplies and hard disks don't have an infinite MTBF, so if the latest set of configurations didn't fix it-- maybe I'll upgrade those parts and do a fresh install.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I am not using a VM with BI... Running Windows 10 Pro bare metal. I'd love to virtualize the whole thing but the Intel Sync passthrough was a hassle. I virtualize Windows 8 on ESXi to run HS and it is fantastic. Stable and maintainable.

I am sure Win 10 is super stable in most configurations but that hasn't been the case for me. This hardware was my old server so it has ECC memory, redundant drives, redundant power supplies, a XEON process and the like. It should be far more reliable that the refurbished Office machines most people are running on. That said, power supplies and hard disks don't have an infinite MTBF, so if the latest set of configurations didn't fix it-- maybe I'll upgrade those parts and do a fresh install.
If your cameras support substreams than QS isn’t needed.