Windows 11 Remote Desktop Issues

btreinders

n3wb
Reaction score
I finally updated to Windows 11 several weeks ago and now I have to reboot the PC quite often because RDP will not connect and things can even lock up while in RDP. I think it has something to do with having the console for BI up and using RDP because I tried VNC and it does not seem to cause the issue. Anyone else have issues once you went to Windows 11? I even went back to the version of BI that was out in May. Thank you!

MR2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, try turning off all the power saving stuff including when it puts the screen to sleep try adding /admin to the end of the computer name you have setup in your RDP connection, this should attempt to grab the console

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It is an upgrade version of Win 11 so I guess I could install 10 fresh and then upgrade again?
You don't need to do that. Now that you've upgraded you can directly install Windows 11 using the media creation tool. I don't know that it will solve your issue but I'm just commenting on the process.

jrbeddow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is an upgrade version of Win 11 so I guess I could install 10 fresh and then upgrade again?
At that point, after re-installing Windows 10, why on earth would you bother putting Windows 11 on it? Virtually every person who has tried to run BI on a Windows 11 machine has had one sort or problem or other (yourself included). Leave it on 10, there is nothing all that compelling about Win11 that it is a "must have".

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I finally updated to Windows 11 several weeks ago and now I have to reboot the PC quite often because RDP will not connect and things can even lock up while in RDP. I think it has something to do with having the console for BI up and using RDP because I tried VNC and it does not seem to cause the issue. Anyone else have issues once you went to Windows 11? I even went back to the version of BI that was out in May. Thank you!
Seems to be a common issue after updates, not sure if this is your issue but worth taking a look. RD Issue after upgrade

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
At that point, after re-installing Windows 10, why on earth would you bother putting Windows 11 on it? Virtually every person who has tried to run BI on a Windows 11 machine has had one sort or problem or other (yourself included). Leave it on 10, there is nothing all that compelling about Win11 that it is a "must have".
Exactly!!!!

Consider this BI/computer as an NVR (which it basically is).

NVRs are rarely updated, at least with the computer you can have antivirus up to date, but no need to run Win11 until it has been proven to be a stable platform for BI.

Running a computer on Win10 is still way more safer than any NVR that has had zero firmware updates during its life (or maybe one or two, but not many).