Windows 11...

Reaction score
The older I get, the less I like change. Then Microsoft has to F with everything to "improve" it. Improve? My ass.
Has anyone ever heard of the "Hawthorne effect"? In searching for the optimal conditions for factory work, researchers discovered that morale improved and workers had a more positive view of the workplace when the workers believed they were being given attention and listened to. They changed the factory lighting to brighter lights--- production went UP.... then it tapered off and feel back to previous levels. They changed the factory lighting again to dimmer lights--- production skyrocketed again, then slowly tapered off over many weeks. The LIGHTING isn't what changed anything, it was the perception that the change in lighting represented management attention to the comfort of workers.

MS seems to be on the "change for the sake of change" bandwagon. I don't need my computer to look like a goddam Mac. </CrankyOldMan>

My new laptop comes on Thursday, preloaded with Win11. How many of you are tweaking it to look/act like win10? Apparently there are a lot of apps (to buy) to make this happen.

1649777335873.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW, Stardock that makes the Start11, also made Start8 and Start10 both of which I installed literally dozens of between 2012 and now for folks that couldn't depart from XP or 7.

Both were great products, never a single glitch from either and are reasonably priced. My point? I'll wager that Start11 is as good a product as was Start8 and Start11. I'm finally used to 10, still use 7 and wife just got a 11 laptop so I'm OK (even at 73) but for those of you (or customers or relatives) that go nuts with 11 I recommend Start11.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I run a few computers with Win 10 as well as Win 11. Once you get used to Win 11 it's ok. Microsoft has hidden some of the things I want/need like the task manager, but once I found what was needed I just pinned them to the taskbar.
I prefer Win10, but... :shrugs: It won't be supported after 2025 so might as well get used to the new kid on the block.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Man, my feelings just got hurt......sniff........I run Macs:cool: My BI machine is a Win7 Pro machine. I love 7. The only reason I dug the Win7 machine out of storage was to run BI. Hate 10 and 11. My employer has bought into the whole MS Eco-System and it is a constant train wreck......(or maybe it's our IT department that is a train wreck.....or both). I have to use 11 at work, absolutely hate it. Can't find anything, they re-invented the wheel, menu bars are all gone, now I have to figure out what all the damn hieroglyphic symbols mean. It slows my productivity substantially using the office products I have to search all over the place to find a simple command that was always in the menu bar. Seems like most software is going that way. I guess it's so people who can't read can play video games by clicking on a picture.

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Win 7 was good stuff. I have just about every flavor of it saved as an .ISO on a backup drive.
I have the original dual disk set I bought in 2012: 7 Pro in 32 bit and in 64 bit flavors. Had several offers of people wanting to buy it. I think I will keep it. It does come in handy on occasion. I have all the ISO's also saved on my NAS.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I once had w-95 first edition upgrade on Floppy's LOL. My first exposure to Windows was I went to school to learn keyboarding and Windows ( for Work Groups 3.11) Win 95 was just coming out. We focused on Excel, and Word, and constructing an e-mail.
Somebody gave me a 386 SX with DOS to play with. Get a 486! they said, they you can run Windows! they said, So I did( used) But the 90MB hard drive refused to complete the install, because of insufficient disk space. So I went to Best Buy and they laughed at me under their breath, and said you should have a Pentium 60 at least to run w95. So I bought the 8.4GB monster Maxtor Hard drive. And got a hold of a Pentium 60 box. Installed Windows, been chasin it ever since :)....since like 1994...
I remember driving to the grocery store to get free copy of AOL. 3.0 or some shit...and I got a 28.8 Modem...cookin w Gas baby.....

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the original dual disk set I bought in 2012: 7 Pro in 32 bit and in 64 bit flavors. Had several offers of people wanting to buy it. I think I will keep it. It does come in handy on occasion. I have all the ISO's also saved on my NAS.
Same here...a couple of DVD's of Win 7 Pro & Home, (one unopened) plus .ISO's of XP Home & Pro SP3, 7, 8, 10 etc.

I've had pretty good luck with 7 but LOVE how quickly 10 boots up on a SSD, especially after a fresh install and all the Win 10 optimizations put into place (no spotlight on lock screen, no tips & tricks, no update other PC's on network, configured for performance with no animations, etc., etc.)

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
I still run W 3.11 just for kicks to see how far we have come, just in a VM of course. I went to W11 about a month ago and it runs great. But at the same time I upgraded board and a12th gen I7 with 32GB ram and a M2 drive....so it better kick ass. :lol:

Screenshot 2022-04-15 071134.png

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
Handy trivia fact: Did you know Macs are immune to BSD's and you will never have to defrag the hard drive??