Windows or Android Tablet?

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm in the process of setting up my home network (more questions to come), and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with tablets running Windows 10? Are there benefits of using a tablet running Windows 10 to view my Dahua cameras at home on my LAN, compared to an Android tablet?
I believe I would be able to install SmartPSS on the Windows tablet.

Looking at a Galaxy Book 10.6

Thanks

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use an android tablet to view my Blue iris system. I use either the UI3 interface or the Android app. I do not access by cameras directly as they are blocked from the internet for security reasons.

1) use a VPN to access your home network.
2) Block camera access to and from the internet.
3) do not open ports to view cameras.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

Last edited:

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi SouthernYankee, thanks for your response and yep I intend on eventually implementing all 3 of your recommendations. I've built a small pc to run Untangle, which I have to connect to the network and from there it will be network addressing.... but more of that later.

Has anyone used a Windows Tablet?

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have not run a Windows tablet. However, I use Windows 10 stick PCs on several tvs around the house for live viewing via UI3. Two TVs also have Firesticks doing the same thing. I am considering adding some Android tablets on wall/table top mounts in the kitchen and laundry room for additional views. For the tablets, they would be used for basic weather, news, and school update feeds with the simple option of flipping tabs for cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried three cheap Windows tablets ($80-$120) as camera monitors. I got models specifically with USB type A ports (the normal kind) so I could attach USB ethernet adapters and not have to stream over wifi. Unfortunately they have all proven to be unstable so far (I guess too many corners were cut to get the price down while still being able to run full Windows. The first one had a glitchy screen that eventually died. The second one froze every few days (what a POS) and needed hard-rebooted, and the third one might have a memory problem or something because my streaming app freezes every 2-8 weeks and I need to close and re-open it.

Now I'm sure a Windows tablet made by Samsung would be fine, but also a lot more expensive. Android tends to work fine for camera viewing and could save you significant cash.

Tengu

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks cage771

bp2008, what app did you use to view the cams on the windows tablets?

cage771

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You know.....thinking about it, there are 3 inexpensive Windows tablets floating around here that my kids don't use. A few years old, but should be able to handle UI3 fine. If I can find the chargers I'll let you know what I figure out.