Wired LAN Speed

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I get 350 mbs on wifi and only 100 on wired LAN connections. From the router there are two gigabit switches to the server and the POE switch has gigabit uplink. I used cat5 cables that were left over from camera installs. Probably was a dumb idea to use them, but need confirmation this is the likely problem.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is the POE switch 100MB ports with a gigabit uplink?
Yes, It's this one.

That switch (uplink) connects to a Netgear GS205 switch which goes to the same Netgear switch at the router (50 foot cat5 cable).

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
So whats the confusion? Its a 100Mbps switch. If you are plugged into a 100Mbps port than you won't get anything more out of that port that 100Mbps.

Cat5 hasn't been a thing for two decades. So I doubt your cables are the old Cat5 standard unless they are really old. I'd guess they say Cat5e on them but I've been fooled before.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So whats the confusion? Its a 100Mbps switch. If you are plugged into a 100Mbps port than you won't get anything more out of that port that 100Mbps.

Cat5 hasn't been a thing for two decades. So I doubt your cables are the old Cat5 standard unless they are really old. I'd guess they say Cat5e on them but I've been fooled before.
It should only be 100 to each camera from the POE switch. The rest should be 1000. Right?

5e, Some from 2012.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
What are the port specs on the router? What means are you using to determine your wireless & wired connection speeds?

wpiman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I get 350 mbs on wifi and only 100 on wired LAN connections. From the router there are two gigabit switches to the server and the POE switch has gigabit uplink. I used cat5 cables that were left over from camera installs. Probably was a dumb idea to use them, but need confirmation this is the likely problem.
How long are the cat 5 runs? cat 5 or cat 5e? My house came with cat 5e and I get reliable gigabit to every room in the house. There was a wire to the generate that was hundreds of feet long that I put keystones on and I only get 100 mbits on there. What do the link lights on the port switches show? Most have a color to indicate link speed.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The router, Eero: Dual auto-sensing Gigabit ports for WAN and/or LAN connectivity.
The server is a Mac mini M1, wired through two Netgear Gigabit switches to the router. I used speedtest.net on a couple different servers comparing wifi and ethernet.

The longest run involved is 50 feet and there are a few short ones. All 5e. The modem to. router cable is 5e too, so I'm getting the 350 wifi through that.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
... I speedtest.net on a couple different servers comparing wifi and ethernet.
That's going out over the Internet to test throughput. It's not testing throughput on your internal network. You will see much slower speeds in that case.

If you want to test within your network, you could use a variety of tools like iperf, Helios, etc.

As mentioned above, look at the lights on your computer and the switch. Both should give you some indication of the line/port speed for the connection. But that's different than actual throughput.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That's going out over the Internet to test throughput. It's not testing throughput on your internal network. You will see much slower speeds in that case.

If you want to test within your network, you could use a variety of tools like iperf, Helios, etc.
Right, but why the difference? Same servers, same everything - Wifi vs. ethernet. Ethernet looses miserably.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Not sure. I'd look at your networking/adapter settings on computer and router first. Again, check the lights.

Bypass the switches and plug the computer into the router and see if that changes anything.

Test throughput internally and see what the computer does accessing local resources.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m still not clear. Are the computers your are testing both connected to the switch‘s 1Gbpe uplink ports or the 100Mbps ports? As mentioned, if you want to test real throughput then you need to test computer to computer with iperf or similar tool. An internet speed test won’t work.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've got a new cat6 50 foot cable arriving tomorrow. It will be easy to try it direct, through one switch and then through both.

It's a new Mac Mini 16 core with 1G ethernet.

Last edited:

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m still not clear. Are the computers your are testing both connected to the switch‘s 1Gbpe uplink ports or the 100Mbps ports? As mentioned, if you want to test real throughput then you need to test computer to computer with iperf or similar tool. An internet speed test won’t work.
There are three switches involved. Two of them are Netgear gigabit switches and the third switch a POE switch that has 8 100mb ports and 2 1G uplink ports. The POE switch is just being used for the POE cameras and it's gigabit uplink port is connected to one of the Netgear gigabit switches. Those 100mb ports should not affect the rest.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know the Mac well but I assume that there's a way to force the port to some setting. Maybe look at that and try forced to 1000 vs auto.

Again what do the lights say? There should be some reference to the colors or lighting pattern indicating what line speed it's using. That's the first quick and easy check.

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good idea. Honestly, I knew the lights showed activity but didn't know they were coded to indicate speed.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Usually for a switch it will be something like single left-side light lit = 10, single right-side light lit = 100, both lit = 1000. Blinking showing activity (normally, or error patterns in some cases). Not sure how the Mac does it.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
In confirm speed in OSX, click Applications > Utilities > Network Utility. Alternatively, search Network Utility in Spotlight Search.
In the Info tab, under Network Interface, use the drop-down menu to select the Ethernet.
You should be able to view network connection details including network addresses, and connection link speed

CapeCod

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Network Utilities just got deleted in Big Sur. Looking at the apps there are a couple that would do the job.