Wireless IP camera

nickon

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I bought a HDW5231R-Z from @EMPIRETECANDY a week ago and I am still waiting to receive it.
This will be my first IP camera and while waiting for the delivery, I started thinking where I could place another camera. I always wanted to place a camera on the balcony, so this will be the next spot to install an IP camera.

The only problem is that there is no opportunity to get an UTP cable to the balcony. This means the only option I have is to buy a wireless IP camera.

I have searched this forum, but there are little threads on good wireless cameras. In general everybody says to just install an UTP cable and buy an PoE camera. Unfortunately this is just not possible in my case.

Since the camera will be placed on the balcony, it needs to be water- and weather proof. I also really want an IR function.

@EMPIRETECANDY suggested the SD29204T-GN-W, but that model is not water- or weather proof.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

Greetings

CCTVThomas

n3wb
Reaction score
Wired is always the best. If there is no way you could use a powerline adapter with poe or a powerine adapter and a poe injector. This is way more stable than wireless. I use a powerine adapter for my ip camera at my garage and it works fine.

nickon

n3wb
Reaction score
I am only planning to use 1 wireless camera.

I like the power line adapter idea, did not think of that before. The only downside is that it will make the whole installation a lot more expensive, since I also have to buy a poe injector.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am only planning to use 1 wireless camera.

I like the power line adapter idea, did not think of that before. The only downside is that it will make the whole installation a lot more expensive, since I also have to buy a poe injector.
Buy once, cry once.
As @drunkpenguin says, there is almost always a way to run wire. You have to power the cam anyway.
The cam that Andy suggested has been used successfully out doors when installed in a weather protected location.