Wish List for 2 homes

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey All

I'm a newbie to surveillance and this technology, but trying to learn as quickly as I can and so I have put together a basic wish list of hardware. Happy for people with experience to critique & provide some feedback for mounting options based on where the sun rises, how high and general install gotta ya, i need to be mindful of when setting these up

My Wish list is for 2 homes, my house and my folks house

4 X IPC-HDW5231RP-ZE - 2MP WDR IR Eyeball Turret Motozoom Camera
2 X IPC-HDBW4231F-AS - 2MP POE Starlight IR Mini Dome
2 X IPC-HFW2325S-W 2.8mm - 3MP wifi IP Bullet Camera
2 X IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE 3.6mm - 2MP Starlight IR Turret Camera
2 X IPC-HDBW4631R-ZS - 6MP Motorised Dome Camera H.265 POE
1 x NVR4108-8p-4ks2 (parents place)
1 X Cisco SG300-28P switch - 28 port gigabit PoE switch (my place and BI)
1 X Blue Iris
Cat 6 UTP cabling 300mtrs

I've sent this list to Andy from Empire for pricing but no reply yet, as got some prices from various sources even aliexpress and fleabay which I've shared them with Andy in the hope he can match prices. Eitherway some more free advertising for him :)

My selections are based on wanting something decent in both Day and Night and its not that there is high crime going on, although I do want to catch that pooch that is crapping on my lawn, LOL

Basically the HDW5231RP will face towards the street (front of the house) and capture the walk path and will have the HDBW4231F at the door for face detection etc.

The wifi camera is more for my parents house as the shed is a little further and maybe difficult to physically get cabling to it.

For the HDBW4631R will be at the rear of the house and the HDW4231EM will be for down the driveways

For my house these will feed into the Cisco switch and POE and a dedicated HP GEN8 server will run BllueIris, and at my parent will run the NVR and I plan to connect to there camera over either a cloud based solution or raspi or other internet / remote access options

Feel free to provide any suggestions and or whether I have the right gear for a basics setup as I plan to purchase in the few months as I want to cable this up during the cooler period as my roof gets uncomfortably hot! Plus I still have a lot of reading to do...

Looking forward to feedback good or bad

PEACE
Kosti

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ regarding avoiding wireless cam. Since you'll need power for that Dahua, why not instead consider PLA's (Power Line Adapters) for the Ethernet if the house sources the power to the shed?
Do not mount cams over 7 feet.
Use only solid copper (No CCA / Copper Clad Aluminum) cable with jacket rated for the application.
Consider appropriate mounting boxes/brackets to protect cam's pigtail and allow smaller hole for cable.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Please install an alarm system, cameras are not an alarm system.

Read,study,plan before spending money ..... plan plan plan

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey All
Yes reading the cliff notes is a challenge as my eyes aren't as good and I'm old fashion and like to print and read, any way to download these cliff notes?

@ SY, not sure if an alarm will catch the dog pooing on my lawn..:p - Although both homes are fully alarmed back to base hoping to complement my setup to include surveillance

WOW so I reached out to this Andy chap in the hope to get a good deal on the wish list and I got a very average response. To my surprise his prices and not the cheap and certainly not doing "me" any discounts regardless that I am a new member here. Admittedly I was under the impression he would look after people wanting to get such hardware from this forum yet I had some questions around the pricing which clearly Andy advise me that he can't be stuffed to help me source my list and match pricing and going by his response showed zero interests in helping anyone outside of the USA.

I can see that his more focused on US based sales and an Amazon store as well see that he's sold a few around the world sure, however after my brief experience with him I wouldn't say he cheapest and maybe better aftersales support but after my experience I definitely would not be recommending for any who's down-under.

As an example I look at Aliexpress at the NVR4108-8p-4ks2 with an average price of $154 with free shipping, his price is $160+shipping when asked why his price was higher to be told go shop elsewhere,

Sure I'm a new guy with no reputation but that's now how to treat potential customers who are making and wanting to purchase hardware, and my list is a decent order over $1600 USD Speechless!

Kosti

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I cannot and will not comment on your exchange with Andy, as I have heard only your version of the e-mail exchange, but I will say that your account of a negative result is rare...the overwhelming majority of forum members here report great service and quick shipping.....an outcome which, in my opinion, is worth paying an "average" price. Cheaper is rarely, if ever, better.

Additionally, and in all fairness, have you spent any time looking at the reviews of those other vendors?

And there's this: are those other vendors offering the International version, not the hacked Chinese version, for all 12 Dahua cameras and the Dahua NVR?

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Sure, had a look and messaged these other vendors with the same list

All have come back with various pricing and have noted to me which are upgradable and which are “hacked”

So I took this list and pricing and shared it Andy, however it’s the response that I got which was really disappointing

Totally agree most don’t have issues as I too prefer to buy through a recommended source as a single point of sale, offers some level of support & certainty and you are getting the right item with frequent FW updates.

Indeed I’m not trying to ruin anyone’s rep im just sharing my experience and as we don’t use USD Currency most conversion kills the deals for OS based items due to our dollar strength and so I generally look for supported of AUD & free shipping where possible to get the best value for my dollar.

Also bundling all those items from one seller is ideal and could benefit both seller and buyer to keep costs down

Again I was sharing my experience and how I interpreted the email conversation

Happy to go shopping at the other distributers showing up on AliExpress, Ebay etc for these and take the risk just would’ve been nice to have been able to use the suggested which in this case didn’t turn out for my requirement

PEACE
Kosti

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Saw a server in your gear list. While a server is great for some things, I understand even a moderately-equipped PC may be preferable.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Indeed I’m not trying to ruin anyone’s rep im just sharing my experience and as we don’t use USD Currency most conversion kills the deals for OS based items due to our dollar strength and so I generally look for supported of AUD & free shipping where possible to get the best value for my dollar.

Kosti
Guess I'm not quite clear what you're saying.

Was your expectation getting AUD at par on USD pricing, or?

Kosti

n3wb
Reaction score
Guess I'm not quite clear what you're saying.

Was your expectation getting AUD at par on USD pricing, or?
Not at all, I’m saying if one is offering the same item with free shipping or reduce price at least try to match that especially when buying more than one item.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Possibly however the response indicated there was an understanding

Again all I was asking for a review of possibly matching the same pricing given the items on the list
You need to do what is best for you, if you found a better deal elsewhere then more power to you! Either way make sure to post up some results and your new setup when you get going. Good luck.