Witch Switch

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm down to selecting one of two switches for my system. The two choices are between these:

NETGEAR ProSAFE GS110TP 8-Port PoE Gigabit Smart Managed Switch with 2 Gigabit SFP Ports 53w (GS110TP-200NAS)

Or:

UniFi Switch 8 (150W)

Both of these look to have the same features with 8 POE managed ports and 2 SFP ports. The difference seems only to be the total budget power, (53w vs. 150w). The cost is $50 more for the UniFi.

I need to operate 3 cams, (one with PTZ), a wifi access point, and the fiber trunk line connection to my primary switch in another building. This switch also interfaces with the cable modem.

What I wonder now, is if there is an experience factor with either switch?

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have no experience with either switch. I can only say most PTZ have their own power supply if a full PTZ.

But I believe even the mini PTZ from Dahua use 10W so 53W should be enough. Check to make sure each port has enough power

rgarjr

n3wb
Reaction score
I would go with the most PoE budget powered one to prevent yourself from maxing it out.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just bougtt this one...it's built like a tank...

D-Link Systems 10-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE Switch including 2 Gigabit SFP Ports (DGS-1210-10P)

• $136.80 & Free Shipping
  • Eight (8) 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE / PoE+ Ports
  • Total PoE power budget is 78W
  • Two (2) Gigabit SFP Ports
  • Supports PoE and PoE+ (802.3af and 802.3at) with 78W PoE power budget
  • Supports 802.1Q VLAN, Auto Voice VLAN and Auto Surveillance VLAN
  • Advanced features include QoS, Bandwidth Limiting, Link Aggregation, Port Mirroring, Spanning Tree and IGMP Snooping
  • Security features include Access Control List (ACL), 802.1X / RADIUS, ARP Spoofing Prevention, and D-Link Safeguard Engine
  • Easily managed using intuitive GUI, D-Link Network Assistant Utility, D-View 7, Compact CLI or SNMP
  • Limited Lifetime Warranty
71EoLDAzAUL._SL1500_.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
would not worry too much about budget, I have 14 PoE devices online right now and using a mere 90W at night.. I have a 24 port midspan capable of 800w and its never gonna come close to it.

the unifi is nice if you plan on standardizing on the UniFi platform.. ie, UniFi WiFi and UniFi Router

I considered the UniFi switch long and hard, since I already have a UniFi Wireless network, but I needed 48p and it was not worth the $800 when I could get the non-poe switch Q2U just pointed out in 48p for $65 and my 24p Midspan for $100.. used of course.

Big PTZ's usually require PoE+, some even use PoE++

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
would not worry too much about budget, I have 14 PoE devices online right now and using a mere 90W at night.. I have a 24 port midspan capable of 800w and its never gonna come close to it.

the unifi is nice if you plan on standardizing on the UniFi platform.. ie, UniFi WiFi and UniFi Router

I considered the UniFi switch long and hard, since I already have a UniFi Wireless network, but I needed 48p and it was not worth the $800 when I could get the non-poe switch Q2U just pointed out in 48p for $65 and my 24p Midspan for $100.. used of course.

Big PTZ's usually require PoE+, some even use PoE++
I already purchased the router:

TRENDnet TEW-818DRU AC1900 Dual Band Wireless AC Gigabit Router, 2.4GHz 600Mbps+5Ghz 1300Mbps, One-Touch Network connection with WPS button, 1 USB 2.0 Port & 1 USB 3.0 Port, DD-WRT Compatible, IPv6, Guest Network

So, the unified platform is not possible except for the option to purchase the the UniFi access point with the UniFi switch. Is there any advantage in getting then both the same, even though the router is different?

The Netgear switch will handle up the 15w on a single port.

"PoE ports supply up to 15W per port with 53W total PoE budget"

I can't find a spec for the UniFi switch. Neither switch will support POE+

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I run a 24-port Netgear FS728TP POE Switch at the office for all of my cameras and the switch's web interface is horribly slow...nearly unusable. It's a couple of years old now, but it was pricey at the time ($400.00+ ?). They may have corrected this issue with their new switches, but mine is so bad that I'd never buy another Netgear switch.

Night_Owl

n3wb
Reaction score
New to your forum, but have been researching a budget 4 ip cam system for my brother who recently had his vehicle broken into. I am looking at this TP-Link switch(TL-SF1008P-$49)
to keep cost down, but was concerned with 100Mbps bandwidth running four 4MP cams. Considering the Hik turret 2342 which has max bit rate of 16Mbps, so does that mean
4X16=64Mbps which is within the 100Mbit bandwidth of the switch. I assume the unmanaged switch is not a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATT2/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

I know there are higher quality POE switches, but this looks to provide the most bang for buck on his budget. Anyone had any experience with TP-Link?

Thanks,

Night Owl

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That switch will be fine...there is no reason to max out the bitrate, all that will do is minimize your storage duration....generally something like 4096 is perfectly fine...you wont see any noticeable improvement at a higher bitrate..

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run a 24-port Netgear FS728TP POE Switch at the office for all of my cameras and the switch's web interface is horribly slow...nearly unusable. It's a couple of years old now, but it was pricey at the time ($400.00+ ?). They may have corrected this issue with their new switches, but mine is so bad that I'd never buy another Netgear switch.
I wonder if the slow web performance might have something to do with how your system is wired? I would think that a hard wired system with a direct connection from Modem to router to PC, should perform to the limits of the PC/Server, and not the switch, when you are just using it for web browsing?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if the slow web performance might have something to do with how your system is wired? I would think that a hard wired system with a direct connection from Modem to router to PC, should perform to the limits of the PC/Server, and not the switch, when you are just using it for web browsing?
Q meant the switch's web interface, not the web speeds...

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, I hope the 10 port version works better BC I just ordered it. I'll post a followup when my system gets up and running. I've got a real good PC, so I'm hoping for the best.

Night_Owl

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip fenderman, I guess the higher bitrate would only be used for max res at full frame rate for live monitoring. Found bandwidth calculator, and it sounds like Fast Ethernet bandwidth would work for most home installs