Working with Cat 5E vs. Cat 6 experiences & Pass Through Connectors

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have made at least a dozen Cat5E cables using the Klein crimping tool and Klein Pass Through Connectors, zero issues and I can make a cable from start to finish (2 ends stripped/crimped) in 3 - 5 minutes.

I recently purchased some Cat6 Direct Burial cable, I generally buy Monoprice but they did not have what I needed and I bought TrueCable.

Here is my issue: Holy Mother of God is this a giant pain in the rear to work with compared to Cat5E, is this normal? Took close to an hour %^&&$#@!!!! working with this stuff to make one crimped end. Like putting 23 gauge wires in 24 Gauge holes.

Is there a secret I don't know about?

YES, 100% positive I used the correct connectors, I opened a brand new sealed Klein brand pack and double checked they were marked Cat6. The tool is also spec'd for Cat6 use.

I wonder if the True Cable is a little different spec than std Cat6??? After I finally got it together even the Klein tool did not cut the excess wires when I ratcheted it completely.

Cable in question: Cat6 Direct Burial|Unshielded

Attachments

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well. after posting, I did a little more reading and I noticed the Klein Pass through Connectors are not in a staggered pattern which seems somewhat common based upon limited reading.

Furthermore;

Klein Cat6 Pass Through: Max diameter for CAT6 Pass-Thru™ Connectors is 0.04-Inch (1.01 mm).

True Cable; insulated conductor diameter of 1.02mm.

That is not much of a difference but specs are specs.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well. after posting, I did a little more reading and I noticed the Klein Pass through Connectors are not in a staggered pattern which seems somewhat common based upon limited reading.

Furthermore;

Klein Cat6 Pass Through: Max diameter for CAT6 Pass-Thru™ Connectors is 0.04-Inch (1.01 mm).

I would say you simply need more practice.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I don’t use Cat 6 just because it’s a pain in the ass with its spline. Since you also got direct burial you have to deal with the super thick outside jacket too.

1Gbe on Cat5e is plenty for me. So no, I don’t think you are doing it wrong. Just takes practice since it’s harder to work with being direct burial.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've done thousands of RJ45s and probably a few thousand RJ11s. I only use dead front connectors. Some days it goes really fast a quick, some days it doesn't. It takes a lot of practice and even then there are those days....
Same here....no pass-thru's for me either. They're great for some, it's just that I did the old school type for so long by the time the pass-thru's showed up, I was getting along OK. I just don't have any feeling in my fingers any more, sure glad I don't do this for a living any more.

Nowadays I use the "hey kid, come here and tell me what is the #$%^ color of this wire?" :highfive:

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score

Furthermore;

Klein Cat6 Pass Through: Max diameter for CAT6 Pass-Thru Connectors is 0.04-Inch (1.01 mm).

If this cable is truly CAT-6 (23 AWG) the correct staggered RJ45 connector is 1.22 mm. The internet is riddled with people always complaining How come this doesn’t fit

Maybe because you’re using the wrong size connector!

All of this is predicated that the outer jacket is also to spec! Because if one or both is out of spec you’ll be there all day trying to terminate a single connector.

I’ve watched so called 20 year seasoned electrician who go the low voltage route to get more money. Fighting an entire shift because they are using CAT-5 connectors or CAT-6 which are totally out of spec.

The problem is the endless shit on the internet that allows people to sell 28, 26, 24 AWG so called CAT-6 cable!

Not only does it confuse the average consumer it confuses the so called pros with 20 years of experience! Because they can’t and won’t take 30 seconds to search Google!

28, 26 AWG cable in any CAT variety should be banned as this just lines the pockets of criminals and fleeces the pockets of imbeciles.

That’s right up there with companies allowed to sell CCA cable in any type whether it be for CAT, speaker, low voltage etc.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There may be "electricians" that truly know how to handle low voltage wiring, but most of them don't have the first clue.
Brother-in-law built a new house, I told him to not let the electrician do the telephone, TV, or network cabling.
They moved in, hmmm, can't get cable tv to work. I go over take a wall plate off, he had ran RG59 50 ohm cable, not Rg6 75ohm.
He had tried to crimp RG6 connectors onto the RG59, and butchered the crap out of every single one. It appeared he was using pliers to do the crimping!
Telephone's wouldn't work, he had not kept the wire colors consistent from jack to jack and to the NID.
He claimed to be a journeyman electrician.
I got the pleasure of telling my know it all BIL, told you so!

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
All I can say is I bought some CAT6 direct burial cable and used the Klein pass through RJ45 connectors and had no problems at all. I remove around 2.5" of the insulation which helps me with the feed through of the individual wires. The cable had 23AWG solid copper wire. Like was stated above, I just took my time.

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I might buy some of the RJ45's as mentioned sized and staggered for 1.22MM (or at least larger than the 1.01MM sized Klein). I was able to terminate the second half of my cable using my existing connectors, took about 30 minutes for what should be a two minute job.

I am literally trying to thread eight 1.02mm cable into eight 1.01mm holes that are not even staggered.

Any other comments welcome.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I might buy some of the RJ45's as mentioned sized and staggered for 1.22MM (or at least larger than the 1.01MM sized Klein). I was able to terminate the second half of my cable using my existing connectors, took about 30 minutes for what should be a two minute job.

I am literally trying to thread eight 1.02mm cable into eight 1.01mm holes that are not even staggered.

It’s out of spec and not recommended but you can follow what Parley did. Which is remove the outer insulation and insert the cable.

The primary reason for NOT doing this is the copper will be impacted by oxidation. If you live in a coastal region be prepared to see erratic performance or complete failure once the copper begins to corrode.

You can offset this by applying some dielectric grease to the copper before insertion and on the outside of the RJ45 when done.

Good Luck!

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Only experience i had with Cat 6 was 2007. I wont be much help. I do however have a 1000 ft. roll of TrueCable Direct Burial Cat5e and it terminates normally. yes the Jacket is stiffer, but other than that, It's been good so far. used about 700 feet so far.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
He claimed to be a journeyman electrician.
IMO, even a "licensed" anything means that you know how to take a test and pass it.
They can't test for integrity or honesty.
There's a lot of great "certified", "licensed" and journeymen electricians out there, so don't get me wrong.
I even know a handful of non-licensed ol' boys that could run circles around the best of 'em...i'm just sayin'....the paper means squat in my book.
It may say that he/she know what to do and likely even how to do it....but that's really all it says.
Just my 2 cents, FWIW.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score

It takes me a lot longer than two minutes for me to do one. I would say 15 minutes at a minimum. Of course I am in no hurry as I am a retired person, and I am not doing this for a living. ;)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use the monoprice cat6 with insert connectors and have never had any problem related to the cat6 cable. The wires go right into the inserts. With a couple hundred terminations I've made a few boo-boos, but they've been self-inflicted.
+1^^.
Same connectors here with inserts, same results (maybe only a hundred, though). I do angle cut the fanned-out wires like I mentioned in post #5, it helps me get them into the insert.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
on most of my a/v trainings, the instructors never recommends using “pass-through” connectors. The non-pass through types body will always provide a perfectly aligned contact. The P-T tool, will eventually (usage time) misalign the cutting blade, not providing a perfect contact between connector/unit.

edit: that was back in 2007, not probably the same today.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
on most of my a/v trainings, the instructors never recommends using “pass-through” connectors. The non-pass through types body will always provide a perfectly aligned contact. The P-T tool, will eventually (usage time) misalign the cutting blade, not providing a perfect contact between connector/unit.

edit: that was back in 2007, not probably the same today.
MAJOR RANT:

With anything this happens in large part due to the market being flooded by cheap hardware. This is made worse when the public at large don’t take the time to educate themselves as to the standard and what to look for!

The only reason you see 28, 26 AWG Category Ethernet cable is because companies know they can make tens of millions of dollars preying on the ignorant!

This is analogous to if someone said they made 14 / 12 AWG Romex to be super flexible and multi coloured?!?

You don’t see 14 AWG Romex being offered at 16, 18, 20 etc all the while stating the same performance and current carrying ability!

Why?!?

Because it doesn’t and isn’t safe to carry the 80% 15 amp load per NEC / CEC!

The Ethernet standard like every other standard created by man was made to insure a known quantity of performance for a given throughput, bandwidth, distance, and voltage drop.

No where does it say the requirements are to be ultra bendy, flexible, and a hue of murple!!

That is right up there with CCA cable in any variety that pervades the market like lice! Only cheap, ignorant, people buy CCA cable in any variety because why?!?

It’s cheap, not because it offers the so called same performance! If that wasn’t the case why again (Standards) and codes absolutely call out CCA cable in any variety can not, shall not, be installed in a wall?!? Because it’s an inferior material and will light on fire when the expected current is seen!

This is why the internet is riddled with people crying all the time they can’t achieve the maximum distance for a POE run! Because stupid is using 26 - 28 AWG so called murple coloured CAT6 cable which of course is also CCA cable!

None of these people even have a spark to make a thought to understand basic electrical theory (Ohms Law) as it pertains to voltage drop and resistance! Much less understanding why the same stupid imbecile decides to push POE+ / POE++ voltage through that tiny murple wire!

Only to scratch their head why their house lit up on fire or killed thousands of dollars in hardware.

The Ethernet spec does not indicate cabling using 26, 28, 30 AWG anywhere.

Last edited: