Working with Cat 5E vs. Cat 6 experiences & Pass Through Connectors

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't find the Murple cabling on Amazon. I guess i'll settle for that Mink. :winktongue:
Good cable is worth it's extra cost. I mean come on.
I was installing patient Cardiac monitoring with wireless transmitters for the patients, and Nurses Station computer terminals monitoring 6-8 people per screen. I think that might qualify as mission critical.

eggsan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
understand your point, but take me wrong. If any lessons needs to be learn, always buy quality tools/materials. I always try to avoid Chinese products for contracted jobs. My cable choice is always Belden, while Klein for this particular tools.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't find the Murple cabling on Amazon. I guess i'll settle for that Mink. :winktongue:
Good cable is worth it's extra cost. I mean come on.
I was installing patient Cardiac monitoring with wireless transmitters for the patients, and Nurses Station computer terminals monitoring 6-8 people per screen. I think that might qualify as mission critical.

Sorry for the rant as when you see, read, endure solving other people’s problems everyday. When the most basic infrastructure doesn’t even use or follow a known standard which directly impacts the end user(s).

It’s quite maddening . . .

No matter what anyone ever says about the Chinese. They are king & queen in being able to produce and market anything and make a profit!

Regardless, this highlights my main point about the RJ45 connectors. The market is saturated with hardware that have no quality control (variability) to making connectors that are intended to support cheap and small 28, 26, 24 AWG cable.

When someone buys the real certified cable it’s not a huge shock to find out it doesn’t fit because the (Cheap / Fake) RJ45 is not, was not, made to insert into a REAL 23 AWG cable with the exact insulation material with a REAL outer casing!

Having said all of this the market does offer comparable quality RJ45 connectors that are similar to the likes of Platinum Tools PT connectors etc. Just shop around and read what the specs are and if the connectors don’t call out what the maximum diameter is - Run!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
understand your point, but take me wrong. If any lessons needs to be learn, always buy quality tools/materials. I always try to avoid Chinese products for contracted jobs. My cable choice is always Belden, while Klein for this particular tools.
Apologies my reply wasn’t toward you or anyone. Just wanted to call out the Whys, Buts, etc

Even when the consumer is well educated on the topic it doesn’t address receiving counterfeit products. Hence why some things need to be purchased through a authorized seller / dealer.

Amazon has been great for the public in a general sense. But people should never ever forget their platform allows sold and shipped by Amazon, sold and shipped by X, sold on Amazon and shipped by Y.

So unless you’re familiar with the company and brand you’re literally gambling with the product being received. This has been famously affirmed by the so called fake Micro SD cards (insert brand name).

People honestly believed Amazon was selling fake Micro SD cards. When the reality is their guilt lies solely on the fact they didn’t validate the sellers & products all in the name of

Profit over people . . .

Rob2020

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thread update, ordered some True Cable CAT 6 connectors and this solved the problem;

True Cable; insulated conductor diameter of 1.02mm.

Klein Cat6 Pass Through: Max diameter for CAT6 Pass-Thru™ Connectors is 1.01 mm.

True Cable Connectors Max Diameter 1.05 MM

Went together like it should.

Attachments

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ICyou

n3wb
Reaction score
We bought 5 boxes of the iTBebe connectors and ended up throwing away a box and now having the connector fail after a few months. They feel cheap compared to a name brand and the price is the similar. We also noticed the Gold plating is only on the bottom 3rd of the pin.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Well. after posting, I did a little more reading and I noticed the Klein Pass through Connectors are not in a staggered pattern which seems somewhat common based upon limited reading.

Furthermore;

Klein Cat6 Pass Through: Max diameter for CAT6 Pass-Thru™ Connectors is 0.04-Inch (1.01 mm).

True Cable; insulated conductor diameter of 1.02mm.

That is not much of a difference but specs are specs.
There are two connectors from Klein Tools...

VDV826-703 - 50pcs 1,01mm
VDV826-763 - 200pcs 1,01mm

VDV826-704 - 50pcs 1,1mm
VDV826-764 - 200pcs 1,1mm

So you need at least 1,1mm to have a easy pass through for the most 23AWG outdoor cables.

Also there are some china unshielded rj45 which have 1.2mm

and also shielded rj45 with 1.5mm

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW:

I used cat5e and cat6 cable from monoprice and left overs from professional IT infrastructure installs.
I used ca6 RJ45 plugs / dead end connector from monoprice, + RJ45 jacks + plates ( single gang .. double gang was not a good product as jacks did not fit )

Patch panel I went TrendNet from Amazon .. monoprice patch panels had poorer reviews ...

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I used cat5e and cat6 cable from monoprice and left overs from professional IT infrastructure installs.
The question is, what the diameter with insulation is. Most 23AWG cables have >1.01mm .. it really depends on cable. You will find diameters for the copper of 0.55-0.58mm + insulation

Most Cat5/Cat6 jacks are only for AWG24 and are around or below 1.00mm , so you will have trouble with 23AWG bare copper cat6/cat7. These cables are not suppose to crimp a jack on ... there are some keystone like rj45 jacks, but they will not work if you want to use them with the waterproof-connector of many cameras, because they are too big.

maybe in US there are cat5e/6 outdoor cables with 24AWG ... but in europe you only can buy 23AWG for outdoor.

that is also the reason why there are so many negative reviews on amazon for most connectors which are rated for 23AWG .. some have luck , others doesnt. the "klein tools" jack for cat6 doesnt fit on my cables, which also was the problem of OP. but there are cat6a jacks from klein, they have 1.1mm and fit.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Slightly off-point but if burying cable why not simply put it through a conduit. In the scheme of things, conduit is cheap and probably offers better protection for the cable than exposed direct burial cable. I ask or mention this as I'll be starting a project soon.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Slightly off-point but if burying cable why not simply put it through a conduit. In the scheme of things, conduit is cheap and probably offers better protection for the cable than exposed direct burial cable. I ask or mention this as I'll be starting a project soon.
depends..
the problem is not the cable, its 23awg wire !

some cables have 24awg, which is much easier to crimp, others have 26/27awg ..
on longer cables you can have trouble with poe and then its better to have a ticker copper wire ..

but it is all theoretical and depends on many factors. in early years i used CCA for coax and network... never had any problems or burning cables ;)

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
depends..
the problem is not the cable, its 23awg wire !

some cables have 24awg, which is mich easier to crimp, others have 26/27awg ..
on longer cables you can have trouble with poe and then its better to have a ticker copper wire ..

but it is all theoretical and depends on many factors. in early years i used CCA for koax and network... never had any problems or burning cables ;)
Oops, I should have mentioned, if using conduit, then normal Cat 5e could be used and therefore no crimping issues for the original poster. I have Cat 5e, heaps of it, and considering just using that for my project, buried but in conduit.

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Oops, I should have mentioned, if using conduit, then normal Cat 5e could be used and therefore no crimping issues for the original poster. I have Cat 5e, heaps of it, and considering just using that for my project, buried but in conduit.
here are people who suggest not using cat5e (mostly 26/27awg) for PoE network... also stranded wire can be a pain..

24awg copper solid should be used as minimum..

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Even in a conduit, gel filled cable is a good idea. Water eventually ends up in that conduit from condensation or even leaks. Using direct burial cable in the conduit is the best way to avoid that problem entirely

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
Even in a conduit, gel filled cable is a good idea. Water eventually ends up in that conduit from condensation or even leaks. Using direct burial cable in the conduit is the best way to avoid that problem entirely
sadly its only available in us... here you can buy only cat6/7 awg23 direct burial cable without gel ...

Last edited:

newbury

n3wb
Reaction score
<snip>
There are two connectors from Klein Tools...

VDV826-703 - 50pcs 1,01mm
VDV826-763 - 200pcs 1,01mm

VDV826-704 - 50pcs 1,1mm
VDV826-764 - 200pcs 1,1mm
On the Klein website, and Home Depot they list the VDV826-704 as 1.01mm