Working with settings of cameras / Dahua / BlueIris

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm new to the entire Cam world and have recently bought and installed a Dahua IPC-HFW2831T-ZS 8MP IP Camera.

Is there any rule of thumb when configuring camera Video Settings.
I've got it set in an outdoor area capturing my front yard and the street/main road.
I've set the camera to continuous recording because there is lots of traffic with cars etc so Motion Detection is disabled for this one.

Just wondering what settings I should be trying to work with. Not 100% familiar on what the best bitrate would or encode mode etc.

Also, with these cameras added into BlueIris, under the Network IP camera configuration settings, what should the Make, Model be set to? Any other settings here I should be aware of changing?
Picture attached.

Attachments

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Set your i Frame to be same as your FPS (25)
8192 is a good bitrate. Unless you have concerns about storage, the higher bitrate the better.
You may want to record both continuous AND motion/IVS. It makes it much easier to find events in playback.

Settings are unique to the view and what youre trying to capture. How does it look to you? Post a day and night full res image

Not a Blue Iris user so can't help there.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Blue Iris set most of my Dahuas to Generic/ONVIF type. I used the Find/Inspect button, so BI connected to it and figured all of the settings out fine.

BI has pretty advanced motion detection. You should be able to setup motion detection within BI that just covers your front yard and ignores the street. There should be a lot of good BI tutorial videos in one of the forums here.

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
Cool.
I'll play around with a few settings in video output and post some vids here shortly.

In the settings in Network Configuration - should this be set to a Generic Model or the Dahua One? Not sure what model to set ? (attached pics). Or it don't really matter? Should I be looking out for anything else on this menu.

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Assuming the user name and password are correct, just click the Find/Inspect button and you’re done. BI will query the camera and use that data to configure itself. You shouldn’t have to set the make or model yourself.

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
One of the things I'm realising when testing the different output settings is file sizes.

I'm recording on the highest 3840x2160 25FPS H.264
and 30 mins of footage chews up about 5-6GB of space. That's just the 1 camera atm that I'm testing.
Looking to put anbother 4 or 5 around the outdoor premises.

I've got a 4TB on the NAS that it's recording to, and this is only one camera - continuous footage needed on this one.

1080p footage is about 1-2gb for 30 min footage.

How am I suppose to store footage for 3-5 days with this much space! lol

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You are not shooting a hollywood movie. There is no real security difference between 15 FPS and 25 FPS. Set your frame rate and Iframe to 15. changer your bit rate type to VBR. Make these changes in the camera. Your size should drop to less than 3 GB per hour.

The storage size depends on the complexity of the image and then amount of motion. The more colors, the more small objects, the more motion, the larger the image. A camera shot of a stucco wall is a lot smaller than a shot of a front yard with the wind blowing the trees and the grass, cars driving by, clouds moving.

Last edited:

Spizz

n3wb
Reaction score
You are not shooting a hollywood move. There is no real security difference between 15 FPS and 25 FPS. Set your frame rate and Iframe to 15. changer your bit rate type to VBR. Make these changes in the camera. Your size should drop to less than 3 GB per hour.

The storage size depends on the complexity of the image and then amount of motion. The more colors, the more small objects, the more motion, the larger the image. A camera shot of a stucco wall is a lot smaller than a shot of a front yard with the wind blowing the trees and the grass, cars driving by, clouds moving.
Noted. Thanks for that.
I need to do some more testing with the camera settings output.
So far, I'm highly impressed with the quality and performance of it!.
Impressed with Blue-Iris as well.

Dave Lonsdale

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hello Spizz. The guys have some good advice, I record continuously at 1080p and to limit storage space - sd card and BI, with 10 cams I limit the frame rate to a maximum of 10fps. But I would take issue with their recommendation of setting both the frame rate and iframe to the same value. When recording continuously with VBR I find that, when limiting the bitrate to a specific value to maximise recording time (I use 2048kbps), an iframe of 150 delivers the best video quality with complex moving images. In daylight, only bits per frame matter so why waste these precious bits by repeatably sending static data? For example, when using a 59225 PTZ, the blurr when panning clears more quickly with an iframe of 150 and when setting both the frame rate and iframe to 10 at 2048kbps and when there's 'a lot going on in the image', some parts of the image never clear!

This would not be valid when recording only with alert triggers.

It may be a different storey when it's dark when the camera sensor performance and associated settings may dominate.