Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

JDreaming

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Holy smoke.... I just got an e-mail from Amcrest advertising a new Amcrest Night Color AI Bullet IP PoE Camera that's looks to be identical to the Color-4K-X, but for $399.99! :blankstare:

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Color4K-T only have built in Mic only? No more built in speaker like the Color4k-X?

But Max 512 GB MicroSD card support is nice for those who only want to use SD card for
recording or just started playing with security cameras with no dedicated PC or NVR.

Pity. Surely can't be that hard to fit in a speaker as mobile phones have speakers that can go very loud these days but are tiny.

Can't wait to see the results from this camer when the bugs are ironed out but please Andy ask Dahua to put in speaker as well.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
All

I wanted to give an update on this one since its been a little while and I know all are excited by this model. I've been doing a TON and I do mean a TON of work with Dahua Engineering and Andy on this Turret. I've been pulling apart the FW (original version was not good as you'll recall) down to code level and making, sending and recommending adjustments to Dahua both on the user adjustable + underlying algorithms in efforts to improve this FW (day and night) and remove the issues I reported. I am pleased to say that I am very happy with the results I'm testing so far. Don't get me wrong, there have been some issues, 1 was a bad set of FW sent back to me (now being corrected by Dahua), the other is HW related (Close Focus I reported on) but things are looking a lot better. Due to the HW close focus distance issue I saw Andy and I are ensuring that the Dahua engineering team strongly consider checking current production lines to ensure focus point is closer to the stated spec and more aligned to the expectations on a 2.8mm lens, I've found a few more bugs that I'm feeding back and there is always room for improvement that will be addressed in FW after initial production runs but after capturing the day and night initial footage (for my quick analysis before I review) I'm happier with the way this is shaping up. I will be working on pulling the footage into the editor so I can build out the review as planned over the next few days so I can get it out to all of you ASAP.

Just making sure everyone had the latest and didn't think Wildcat was sitting back with a drink in my hand, feet up :)

A big thanks to the Dahua engineering team who are working with me closely and an even BIGGER thanks to @EMPIRETECANDY who is making sure they see what I'm asking for, why its needed and then helping prioritize. Great teamwork by all on this one for sure.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I hope when they are available, Andy can get another test unit from the new batch out for review (maybe a 3.6?) just to ensure the unit you receive isn't a factory special. I'm sure Dahua wouldn't do that, but it's reassuring to know that the new performance is reflected over more than 1 unit.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I hope when they are available, Andy can get another test unit from the new batch out for review (maybe a 3.6?) just to ensure the unit you receive isn't a factory special. I'm sure Dahua wouldn't do that, but it's reassuring to know that the new performance is reflected over more than 1 unit.
Yes I've already put the request in @CCTVCam to have a Production Unit shipped to me when available so I can give the final thumbs up. 2 Issues with the pre-production unit that I've noted with Dahua are 1) Close Focus Distance absolutely needs re-calibrating, not right and not useful for a 2.8mm, 2) this unit has dust and a few dead pixels on the sensor. I've pushed strongly that they investigate both on the initial production lines. Certainly not unexpected since this one is a pre-release and 1 of a literal handful out there but I wanted to make sure they were aware, could inspect, address and then hopefully will send me a follow up unit (2.8mm or 3.6mm) when production starts. I believe BTW that production will be starting in the next few days so that is good news.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Somewhere, please do find the time to kick back with a drink in your hand and enjoy some quiet time as well!
Thanks for checking in and keeping me honest @sebastiantombs, I absolutely will make sure that I do. I am currently editing the new day test and then will do the night and I can then sit back while hopefully everyone here enjoys and finds the videos useful. On that note, those that have contacted me for assistance, please know I haven't forgotten about you and will return every DM. There's a large number of forum members reaching out for assistance and I intend to assist all just as soon as I can. Thanks for the patience and understanding.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
As promised all, I've completed the revisit of the daytime test. This one is with the beta FW I've been working on. I'm currently working on this much longer night testing where I put this through a barrage of different lighting conditions so feel free to Like, Subscribe and stay tuned for that one. Overall, as mentioned above, I'm much happier in how this camera is now performing based on the changes and recommendations I've ben working on with Dahua. Still more to come and will keep you updated. The changes I've worked on putting in place here with Dahua really are pushing this cam to its limits (considering it is a turret and the restrictions you run into with it + limitations on SOC etc) BUT my goal here has been to push it to the razor edge without breaching it and I believe we're close :) While this particular FW will not be planned to release to wider audience, its successor that I'm working on currently will be. Back to the edit of the night video now. Enjoy the daytime test that I'll post inline here as well as in the original threads too for ease of reference.

HTH and as always, make sure you choose 4K when viewing on YouTube

Daytime Review / Test Of Dahua DH-IPC-HFW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm

Last edited:

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have 2 of the bullet Color 4/x and I have to say, they look like baseball bats coming off the exterior wall on the front of my house. So these could be a welcome upgrade due to being less protruding.
I wish these models had a close focus that wasn’t so far away.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have 2 of the bullet Color 4/x and I have to say, they look like baseball bats coming off the exterior wall on the front of my house. So these could be a welcome upgrade due to being less protruding.
That is what popping them apart and adjusting the focus is for LOL.

Will be nice for a varifocal turret (one can wish)

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Focus is really different on these eh?
On one hand the T has better detail for the sidewalk and maybe the wall details? While the B has better facial/shirt details.

If they can dial in the facial/shirt details, that T looks like it's going to be a winner.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
On one hand the T has better detail for the sidewalk and maybe the wall details? While the B has better facial/shirt details.

If they can dial in the facial/shirt details, that T looks like it's going to be a winner.
The focus on this is due to it being a pre production unit. I’ve already spoken to Dahua about what’s needed for focusing on the actual production runs. Therefore don’t worry too much about the focus issue on my test unit.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
See my post above, this is a pre production and the close focus is off on this unit. Realistically should be closer to 8-10ft out for 2.8mm. Expect 3.6mm to be in the range of 13-15ft etc. Reported back and should be corrected on production units @DanDenver

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sorry for any confusion, I should have been more precise.
I meant this 'series' of camera
So specifically the IPC-Color4K-X (IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED) 2.8mm (which I own 2 of these)
and the IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED (which is being reviewed in this thread)

The close focus of the IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED 2.8mm is 10.2 feet which is fine for my driveway, but I can't use that anywhere else as I need a better close focus rating.

@wittaj is correct however, I could open the housing and force the focus to something different.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Sorry for any confusion, I should have been more precise.
I meant this 'series' of camera
So specifically the IPC-Color4K-X (IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED) 2.8mm (which I own 2 of these)
and the IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED (which is being reviewed in this thread)

The close focus of the IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED 2.8mm is 10.2 feet which is fine for my driveway, but I can't use that anywhere else as I need a better close focus rating.

@wittaj is correct however, I could open the housing and force the focus to something different.
Yes I've cracked open and adjusted many bullet cams, easy to do once you've opened them up a few times. Just be prepared for the glue on everything :)

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, my porch is 10 feet deep, so need a close focus far better than 10.2 feet. I like the 5442 2.8mm as the close focus on that is 4.27 feet, so for me, much better specs in that area.
I am shy to open up the camera in general.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, my porch is 10 feet deep, so need a close focus far better than 10.2 feet. I like the 5442 2.8mm as the close focus on that is 4.27 feet, so for me, much better specs in that area.
I am shy to open up the camera in general.
I think we’ll find (hopefully) that Dahua will ideally set this focus point around the 8ft mark with outlier being 10ft (might see 6ft at a push depending on recalibration). I’m waiting for a production model got off the press when available and I’ll confirm what I see in 2.8 & 3.6 when available. Either way could be useful for you BUT absolutely if you want something in the 4ft mark then 5442 fixed is probably better for you for now.