Worlds First Review - Dahua DH-IPC-HDW5849H-ASE-LED / IPC-Color4K-T - 2.8mm Turret

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Andy is a wizard. I'm not sure how he did it, but I just had a very good conversation with him and he has restored my faith in his brand. Not only has he convinced me to keep my existing camera, but he has also convinced me to buy another one. LOL
andy really is the man. great customer service.

(andy feel free to send me some free stuff. thank you)

Santeesticks

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Andy is a wizard. I'm not sure how he did it, but I just had a very good conversation with him and he has restored my faith in his brand. Not only has he convinced me to keep my existing camera, but he has also convinced me to buy another one. LOL
After some further talking with @BadKarma i am happy to get a happy client again, all issues sorted, though he left a bad review on aliexpress, but that is not important. :D
He is going to buy one more camera IPC-Color4k-T 2.8mm black, lol. Thanks all guys' support and help.

@EMPIRETECANDY, it may be a bit naughty to share, but hearing this made me a little tingly in the bad place. I'm very happy it worked out for you @BadKarma! GOOD WORK ANDY!!!

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After some further talking with @BadKarma i am happy to get a happy client again, all issues sorted, though he left a bad review on aliexpress, but that is not important. :D
He is going to buy one more camera IPC-Color4k-T 2.8mm black, lol. Thanks all guys' support and help.
Hopefully he goes back and amends his 1 star review....

IAmWatchingYou!

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First, this thread has been really helpful and I'm sure it will help a lot of people that don't post here as well. Everything is on-point to help people understand the pros, cons, and issues with this camera, as well as help people decide what other options are if the specs and price of this camera work for you.

After testing this camera for several days, I've got some issues to add and things to point out.

Still working on - potential issues
1. I just tested the microphone in this camera, and with very little ambient noise around, all I hear are mostly loud tinny sounding digital beeping noises. I've tried disabling noise reduction, but that does not work. I've attached an audio extraction below. Is this defective?
2. When using this camera directly with the DMSS app, I'm not seeing IVS rules that I create in the push notifications configuration. Push notifications are only configurable with the default IPC. I created 2 intrusion IVS rules, and they don't show under the intrusion section of the push notification configuration, only IPC does.
3. I don't see a way to disable or at least lengthen the web interface session timeout to prevent it from logging you out automatically.

Issues
1. The depth of focus is definitely an issue and great efforts should be made to SET EXPECTATIONS AHEAD OF TIME so that this is known to anyone prior to purchasing this camera. There will be a ton of detail in the near range sacrificed for the low light capabilities. This is important to anyone using this camera to monitor property within 15' of the camera.
2. Dahua does not support a + sign in an email address, both in the camera, or in their app when signing up.

Note
The competing Hikvision camera model is DS-2CD2387G2. The new new DS-2CD2387G2-LSU/SL variant has a built in speaker which could be helpful in the case you need to warn away. I haven't seen any great full comparison reviews between the two, just some scattered information throughout the threads here, so I may do my own, but it will be weighted towards the features I need - near focus, human and vehicle detection, etc. The Hikvision camera suffers from the the same near focus issues as the Dahua 4K-T as it uses the same size f1.0 lens. It is unknown at this point if the Dahua's focus can easily be adjusted by opened it up as no one has done this like they have the Hikvision, or to what extent it reduces far focus.
View attachment Videofile-1.mp4

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, this thread has been really helpful and I'm sure it will help a lot of people that don't post here as well. Everything is on-point to help people understand the pros, cons, and issues with this camera, as well as help people decide what other options are if the specs and price of this camera work for you.

After testing this camera for several days, I've got some issues to add and things to point out.

Still working on - potential issues
1. I just tested the microphone in this camera, and with very little ambient noise around, all I hear are mostly loud tinny sounding digital beeping noises. I've tried disabling noise reduction, but that does not work. I've attached an audio extraction below. Is this defective?
2. When using this camera directly with the DMSS app, I'm not seeing IVS rules that I create in the push notifications configuration. Push notifications are only configurable with the default IPC. I created 2 intrusion IVS rules, and they don't show under the intrusion section of the push notification configuration, only IPC does.
3. I don't see a way to disable or at least lenghen the web interface session timeout to prevent it from logging you out automatically.

Issues
1. The depth of focus is definitely an issue and great efforts should be made to SET EXPECTATIONS AHEAD OF TIME so that this is known to anyone prior to purchasing this camera. There will be a ton of detail in the near range sacrificed for the low light capabilities. This is important to anyone using this camera to monitor property within 15' of the camera.
2. Dahua does not support a + sign in an email address, both in the camera, or in their app when signing up.

View attachment 144267

1-Yes ,the audio overall is very poor on this cam. I found that the gain is set way too high for the mic at default. Turning volume down to around 50% gets rid of the digital noise. But the audio is still subpar compared to the 5442 or 5231 series of cams overall.

Last edited:

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Considering the 4k-t. Does the 4K-x have the dots as well?
The dot we explain here, not a hardware problem, all cams have it at dark place, just the 4K with the 1/1.2cmos can find it when you enlarge the pics with digital zoom, not really effect the pics quality. Color pic at dark place the cam auto increase the light gain , so white dots comes at dark area. If you want it work as daytime pic, just increase more light in the light. But for security purpose this cam build in led is good enough. If you want a dream full color cam without any external light, none of these cams can work for you.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
The dot we explain here, not a hardware problem, all cams have it at dark place, just the 4K with the 1/1.2cmos can find it when you enlarge the pics with digital zoom, not really effect the pics quality. Color pic at dark place the cam auto increase the light gain , so white dots comes at dark area. If you want it work as daytime pic, just increase more light in the light. But for security purpose this cam build in led is good enough. If you want a dream full color cam without any external light, none of these cams can work for you.
Andy, inform the powers to be at Dahua, that we need varifocal cameras with a minimum of a 1/1.2" sensor. A bullet camera will be just fine if they need a larger case size.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Happy Halloween everyone ! For Audio would recommend the settings I've shared before. Codec = AAC, 16K bitrate, Noise Filter = OFF, Mic / Speaker (depending on your unit) set to 90 / 90 accordingly. You can always lower to 80 or 75 on both but shouldn't need to go below that. I'll do some audio caps from 2.8T, 3.6T & 4K-X (Bullet Cam) 2.8. I've shared the 4K-X before but I'll re-record some samples in a room that I know will push echo. Then attach to YT and let you know when available.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, I also test the hikvision 4k 1/1.2CMOS turret too DS-2CD2087G2-LU 2.8MM
Right now daytime here, but i also find the dot too when digital zoom it a little. Will post more pics later at night.

View attachment 144065
View attachment 144064

Having seen these now, I don't believe they're hot pixels. Look more like gain artefacts. The fact they disappear with more ambient light suggests very much to me they're gain related. Probably the price to pay for amplifying the light so much to enable this camera to see so well in the dark.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
^while the mavic camera is great, have you taken apart a camera to see how small the actual camera is inside? And then the processing and other stuff for the Mavic is in the drone itself and not next to the actual camera and sensor. Plus the zoom is digital not optical.

The difference between a drone camera and a surveillance camera is that the surveillance camera has to operate in a lot more harsh environments and work at night and if you set them side by side 24/7 you will see the limitations.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Having seen these now, I don't believe they're hot pixels. Look more like gain artefacts. The fact they disappear with more ambient light suggests very much to me they're gain related. Probably the price to pay for amplifying the light so much to enable this camera to see so well in the dark.
Yes, agreed. As I mentioned earlier, this is part of the algorithm related processing

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
As mentioned above, I just ran a super quick audio test against all 3 cams (4K-T 2.8, 4K-T 3.6 & 4K-X 2.8mm). Put a very simple video together showing these. These tests were using the same audio sample played back from an iPhone 12 Pro Max internal speaker at both 20ft & 8ft away from the cameras. The volume was set at 50% then 75%. Interesting results for sure. All camera samples are straight from the cams SD cards, nothing was changed in post. The cut-out/repeat of audio on the 4K-X samples is due to the camera dividing the files (hard to keep movement when just recording audio) and I didn’t want to adjust the settings for this simple test.

All cams were set exactly the same. Namely, per above CODEC = AAC, BITRATE = 16K, NOISE FILTER = OFF, MICROPHONE = 90, SPEAKER (where present) = 90. Double checked the settings on each due to the very different pickup and noise processing across these 3.

My thoughts below

Volume Ratings In Order of Loudest (1 being loudest)

1 - 4K-T 2.8mm​
2 - 4K-T 3.6mm​
3 - 4K-X 2.8mm - Comparing in an audio processor (very quickly) the 4K-X is about approx 6 db quieter than the 4K-T's at the closest 8ft test​

Quality in Order Of Captured Audio (1 being best)

1 - 4K-T 2.8mm​
2 - 4K-X 2.8mm - Although quietest (which plays a role), the audio wasn’t affected by as much digital noise as the 3.6 even when I later bumped the audio in post by +12db (not part of this video)​
3 - 4K-T 3.6mm - Louder but more digital noise and processing so bumped to 3 behind 4K-X on quality​

Background Noise Reduction (Even Without Noise Filter On) By Cam Mic/On-Cam Processing (1 being best separation of background noise to foreground audio)

1 - 4K-T 2.8mm​
2 - 4K-T 3.6mm​
3 - 4K-X 2.8mm - The reason I drop this down here is that when you bump the 4K-X to +12db (which is still quieter than the 4K-T’s) you hear more of the background noise (network equipment rack) that you do on the 4K-T’s​

So in this very quick test, the Wildcat conclusion is that the 4K-T 2.8 offers the best of the bunch overall BUT lets all keep it really by stating, no on cam Mic will ever win any awards for the audio as they are definitely more utilitarian in use and in on-camera processing.

HTH

EDIT - Timestamps added for each camera