Worlds First Review - Dahua - IPC-Color4K-X / DH-IPC-HFW5849T1-ASE-LED - Full Color 4K Camera

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, this is quite a review! (Thanks to Wildcat_1 and everyone else who supports this forum! :))

I ordered the 3.6 mm version from Andy and just finished initializing the camera. I was reading the Bullet Network Camera Quick Start Guide that was sent with the camera and saw that they suggest resetting the device after installing an SD Card (see image).

Does this really need to be done whenever an SD Card is installed?! (I assume that the reset button sets the camera back to factory default settings, and that the camera needs to be initialized again, i.e., new password and modify IP address again.)

Why do they suggest a reset? Does that cause the SD Card to be reformatted? (I was just going to use a PC to format the SD Card as FAT32 before putting it in the camera.)

I searched through the Dahua manuals and not much detail is provided on how the camera interacts with the the SD Cards.

I know this is a newbie question, but if anyone has any feedback, please share!

Thanks!

View attachment 132412
I am surprised they suggest resetting the camera.

It is very common to request that you format the card via the device that it is installed in - whether that is a CCTV, or a photography camera, or a mobile device, etc. This way you are almost guaranteed to have the card work. If you just stick the card in without formatting it via the device, there is always a chance the card is formatted to the wrong standard, or the device can't read the card for some reason. But again I have never heard of a manufacturer suggesting the device be reset. Perhaps it is just a bad translation.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Wow, this is quite a review! (Thanks to Wildcat_1 and everyone else who supports this forum! :))

I ordered the 3.6 mm version from Andy and just finished initializing the camera. I was reading the Bullet Network Camera Quick Start Guide that was sent with the camera and saw that they suggest resetting the device after installing an SD Card (see image).

Does this really need to be done whenever an SD Card is installed?! (I assume that the reset button sets the camera back to factory default settings, and that the camera needs to be initialized again, i.e., new password and modify IP address again.)

Why do they suggest a reset? Does that cause the SD Card to be reformatted? (I was just going to use a PC to format the SD Card as FAT32 before putting it in the camera.)

I searched through the Dahua manuals and not much detail is provided on how the camera interacts with the the SD Cards.

I know this is a newbie question, but if anyone has any feedback, please share!

Thanks!

View attachment 132412
No need to reset after installing an SD card. Do however format within the camera when you do insert the card and that will force a reboot of the camera as it formats the card. After that you're golden

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
6mm arrived so will be bench testing and then will mount next to the 2.8 and start capturing some test footage and post a quick review for everyone. Will take a few days as I'll grab day and night as usual but will be coming

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Is this camera compatible with Milestone Xprotect and event-based trigger recording?
Milestone XProtect does support ONVIF so if you are using that system you can add the camera in. If you're asking about event based trigger recording through XProtect then there is no reason why you can't BUT you will probably need the Milestone Dahua Metadata plugin

Veinless

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Milestone XProtect does support ONVIF so if you are using that system you can add the camera in. If you're asking about event based trigger recording through XProtect then there is no reason why you can't BUT you will probably need the Milestone Dahua Metadata plugin
Thanks! Not familiar with the metadata plugin, will review!

Reaction score
No need to reset after installing an SD card. Do however format within the camera when you do insert the card and that will force a reboot of the camera as it formats the card. After that you're golden
Guys (wittaj, The Automation Guy, Wildcat_1), thanks for the feedback. I will follow your advice ... :)

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
6mm arrived so will be bench testing and then will mount next to the 2.8 and start capturing some test footage and post a quick review for everyone. Will take a few days as I'll grab day and night as usual but will be coming
Ok I'll admit it, what was meant to be a short 'here's the 6mm version' has to get the Wildcat treatment. So in trying to make the video's more beneficial for all, I'm taking time to make sure I include info and comparisons that will hopefully be of use for all of you when deciding a) on this camera and b) on focal length for your deployments/installations. Therefore taking a little longer but pleased to say day + night footage is captured. Day (quicker video as expected) is almost complete then the longer night video (main thing people want to see with Full Color all the time on these Color4K-X's) I'm currently still editing. I will be showing everything from performance with just string lights to onboard camera lights only and then onto 1x60w, Spotlights etc in efforts to show everyone what they can expect as I revisit this series of cameras. I'll also be sharing some tips on how to tweak certain settings on this cam to combat some of it's internal automation & instead benefit from more control.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
...I'll also be sharing some tips on how to tweak certain settings on this cam to combat some of it's internal automation & instead benefit from more control.
That will be helpful. These cams do seem to make some internal adjustments in various ways given certain settings/functions. I'm trying to recall now what I had to change to get exposure compensation to do anything.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Ok everyone, as promised here is the Daytime Video of the 6mm vs 2.8mm. Trying to add more info into the videos to help all viewers. Takes a lot of time but hope you enjoy them and that they are useful . Night video is almost edited and will be up Tues/Weds at latest. Remember to watch in 4K. Like & Subscribe is always appreciated if you like the content

Thanks

DayTime Video Test

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Beyond the content and production quality, one thing that I really like about your videos... you don't babble.

Get so tired of wading through 10 minutes of some guy going off on 6 different tangents before finally getting to whatever I'm watching for.

Yours are all meat. No filler. Good job.

Reaction score
Ok everyone, as promised here is the Daytime Video of the 6mm vs 2.8mm. Trying to add more info into the videos to help all viewers. Takes a lot of time but hope you enjoy them and that they are useful . Night video is almost edited and will be up Tues/Weds at latest. Remember to watch in 4K. Like & Subscribe is always appreciated if you like the content

Thanks

DayTime Video Test
It looks like the 6mm gets out of focus when you get within 10 feet of the camera. Hopefully that's something that can be addressed. I really wanted to use the 6mm version for my cars.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
It looks like the 6mm gets out of focus when you get within 10 feet of the camera. Hopefully that's something that can be addressed. I really wanted to use the 6mm version for my cars.
As I show in the video the 'real' close focus distance (no spec sheets for this model so this is my real world testing) on the 6mm is 30 - 32 feet. If you want closer then the other focal lengths would be better such as 2.8 or 3.6 although out of those 2, the 2.8 is still my recommendation. Not advocating for this BUT you can open the cams and manually adjust focus but that is an involved process for most. I've done this many times on both Dahua and Hik but don't recommend it especially as you will be voiding any warranty in doing so.

Reaction score
I guess I'll just stick with my 6mm 5442 for now. Although this camera would've been perfect as I have a 50 watt LED light shining over the area it would cover. I currently have the 3.6mm version of this 4K cam in a different spot and I can walk right up to it (maybe 5 to 10 feet) and still have a good image. However, when I get right under it I can tell my face gets slightly blurry but it's hard to tell.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
I guess I'll just stick with my 6mm 5442 for now. Although this camera would've been perfect as I have a 50 watt LED light shining over the area it would cover. I currently have the 3.6mm version of this 4K cam in a different spot and I can walk right up to it (maybe 5 to 10 feet) and still have a good image. However, when I get right under it I can tell my face gets slightly blurry but it's hard to tell.
Yes have to remember that these 1/1.2" 4K's have a very shallow DOF as I mentioned in my initial review and therefore there is a sweet spot for focus at each focal length that is being attempted to be hit by the manufacturers. That is somewhat accurate in what I've seen but there is some room for improvement as I mentioned before. The 3.6 is definitely 1 that boarders on a finer edge but can still be dialed in to suit.

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
Quick update all. Night video is currently encoding then I will upload to YouTube, await its usual song and dance of re-encoding what already met its own specifications and will post an update here when available. This is a longer video (15 minutes) but as usual will place chapters on this. I've also included a 3 minute section showing you how to dial this specific camera in to really pull the most out of it + reduce / counter the camera's auto adjustments present even in manual mode such as AGC bumps, color shifts and noise increases. Hope this helps people show what these are capable of and why as I always say you should "NEVER USE AUTO', now there's no excuse with Wildcat's Tips ;) As always if anyone needs assistance, just reach out. May take a day or 2 as I'm working with a number of forum members here on a regular basis BUT I will always reply and look to connect with you ASAP.

Thanks

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Aha, that is normal, last time i test in the room found the camera has bad focus for 6mm, but when i take out and test opening place all OK.
It has minimum distance based on different lens.