Worth getting new DVR as temporary fix?

Aruth01

n3wb
Reaction score
I want to replace my DVR system but I didn't want to do it today. However, it died and I don't see an obvious way to bring it back to life. If I buy a new DVR now will I be able to use it to integrate some of my coax-connected cameras into a Blue Iris IP system later?

We're pretty rural here and crime isn't a big concern - it's more a matter of seeing what's outside and not being surprised by visitors - but I might have to go out of town for a while and I'd feel better with something working ASAP. None of what I have is too good to throw away but it was better than nothing. I have a couple of cameras I might use in a new system if plugging the DVR into a switch was all it took.

I'm leaning toward Blue Iris and 6-10 cameras but whatever I do, it's going to take some time to decide on a system and put it together. I don't mind spending $50-100 for an interim DVR if I might get some use out of it later.

The DVR that died has 8 ports, no name anywhere and was old when it was given to me. It now has no monitor output and no network activity. The only advice I found with Google was things like "check the cable" and "try another monitor". I know my way around computer hardware and have done all that and more. I've also tried everything that might be a hardware reset. I might spend another 15 minutes on this one if I thought it was worth it, but don't think it is.

So would it be worth picking up a new DVR?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Spend the money and time to move to Blue Iris and decent cameras now. The cost will be approximately $2,000 for a great 10 camera system, but the rewards will be great.

Aruth01

n3wb
Reaction score
Spend the money and time to move to Blue Iris and decent cameras now. The cost will be approximately $2,000 for a great 10 camera system, but the rewards will be great.
Thank you for the reply. It's not the money, it's the timing. I can put another DVR on that shelf and have it running in 15 minutes. I would have liked at least a couple of weeks to work through all the options for a new system and install it, and I should be doing other things right now. I don't the idea of spending even $50 on a temporary solution but maybe it's worth it until I can spend the $2,000 more wisely, and so I have something working in the meantime. That's my dilemma.

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have.

“Homeowners Rule of Four.”

Whatever you think it is ends up costing four times as much and taking four times as long.

Not including the three trips to Home Depot and falling off the ladder.

Over the past 25 years this intrinsic law of homeownership has evolved into “The Geek’s Rule of Eight.”

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So would it be worth picking up a new DVR?
HI Aruth01,

I think a lot will depend on the quality of the cable you used in your coax system and the quality of the cameras.

IF you used quality cables and the quality of the cameras are good, I can see getting a replacement DVR.

If the quality of the cables are poor ( like those included in many cheaper kits ) and the quality of the cameras are poor - I would definitely concur with Q and go the upgrade route.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don't mind spending $50-100 for an interim DVR if I might get some use out of it later.
If you're switching to IP cams and Blue Iris, you won't get much if any use out of a DVR later. I think you'd probably have to spend more than that to get a DVR that isn't junk.

There are some DVRs that can have a mixture of analog and ip cameras connected to them, but again waste of time and money.

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does the DVR have an external power brick at all? Could just be that which has failed/is failing and not powering the unit sufficiently. Been there with an older analog DVR where the supply failed far enough that a couple cameras or the DVR would just stop working. If you are able to check that then its an easy and cheap fix. If its an internal PSU could still be the problem but not so easy to arrange an easy/cheap fix.

I guess its a coin toss moment for you tho, going away soon probably leaves you no time to get all the gear and then no doubt spend shed-loads of time setting BI up and getting it working, not to mention running all the IP cabling around to camera locations etc. Then will it be stable and not crash while you are away etc...

Sure loads here push BI and maybe its a fair solution for many, but there's plenty of posts too of folks having issues so its not likely to be something that can be just turned on, add cameras, set motion zones and its done like an NVR would be. Might be the simplest quick fix is to swap out the DVR (if its not just the PSU) and have something working with least initial effort to cover your absence. Then when back, take the time to do your due diligence on cameras, NVR or other back end, cabling etc and then have the time to get it ordered up, installed and configured. You can then test it over a period before removing your old system once you are confident its doing the job. You might even be able to sell the old gear on via flea-bay etc - but make sure you do a full wipe of the disks and factory reset it all before disposing.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Op. ,

Get a tvi based DVR and you can use your old cameras and buy new ones down the road. Cameras are fraction of IP and won't need new cable.if you already have coax installed. I may have an old dahua DVR or two laying around if you really need one.

Aruth01

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and thanks for the offer, pal251. This is looking like one of those times when the best thing to do is nothing until I can do it right and for now that's what I'll do - nothing,

Well not exactly nothing. I have a few Harbor Freight driveway alarms that have served well in the past and I'll put 2 of them out. We get some false alarms with them but they never miss a vehicle or person coming up the driveway. They can also let you know when something has been caught in a trap and a few years ago one lead to the demise of a chicken-eating raccoon. $13 well-spent.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could do a little more testing to see if you can get your current system back online. Power is a good place to start.

If you buy a DVR as a temporary replacement, don't cheap out. Buy something nice from Dahua or Hikvision (or one of their rebrands like Amcrest, LTS, Nelly's, MonoPrice) that supports a variety of video formats like CVI, TVI, analog, and IP these are often called things like XVRs or pentabrid. That way it should retain most of it's value and you should be able to sell it for ~80% of what you bought it for it you decide to.