Worth upgrading from i7-940 to i7-4770

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have 7 cameras, a total of 16mp of video. Currently run BI4 on an old i7-940 and while it runs great (stays at 10-20% CPU), I know its an energy hog. I can get a free i7-4770 with 8gb of memory (getting retired in my office). I think this would support H264 decoding on the motherboard, and I believe it would be a lot more energy efficient. Any opinions on this based on experience??

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have 7 cameras, a total of 16mp of video. Currently run BI4 on an old i7-940 and while it runs great (stays at 10-20% CPU), I know its an energy hog. I can get a free i7-4770 with 8gb of memory (getting retired in my office). I think this would support H264 decoding on the motherboard, and I believe it would be a lot more energy efficient. Any opinions on this based on experience??
yes...you are tossing money down the toilet by using the old 940

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you, took all of 2 minutes and I received a definite answer. Much appreciated. I supposed I should order a WD Purple drive to hold the clips.

yes...you are tossing money down the toilet by using the old 940

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, took all of 2 minutes and I received a definite answer. Much appreciated. I supposed I should order a WD Purple drive to hold the clips.
You should be okay with the standard drive that is in there... But if you're installing a larger Drive definitely go with the purple...

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was just looking at WD purple drives, and Amazon sells a new gen ($50) and old gen drive ($62). Anyone know the difference?

vincenttor

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i have had a purple drive for less then a year.
Server been off for a few months.
Used the disk only for recordings not more, and it suddenly broke down.
Got a warranty disk in return but who knows when it will break down.

been years ago that i have had a broken disk.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i have had a purple drive for less then a year.
Server been off for a few months.
Used the disk only for recordings not more, and it suddenly broke down.
Got a warranty disk in return but who knows when it will break down.

been years ago that i have had a broken disk.
yes, very large sample size you have there...posts like this are useless.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was just looking at WD purple drives, and Amazon sells a new gen ($50) and old gen drive ($62). Anyone know the difference?
$12......sorry, I couldn't resist!:cool:

I don't know the real diff, both surveillance-rated (high duty cycle, high-write workloads, lower power & more) , same cache size, same warranty. You'd have to study specs sheets side by side, I guess. :idk:

Probably not worth wasting time on, both are WD and are Purple...I'd go 'new' and enjoy a Blue Moon 12-pack or a 8 oz. top sirloin with the savings.

venture996

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I made the switch today, it was very easy. IdI estimate I'm saving 125 Watts of power. Turns out the boot drive is an SSD, so I used the original 1tb sata drive for clip storage. And I found an nvidia video card in there too, which I pulled out. Even setup remote desktop so I'm running headless now.

Only thing I haven't tested yet is the 264 hardware decoding. CPU isn't very busy, so I'm in no rush.