Would a 1Gb/s NIC be recommended for live view to Blue IRIS ?

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys
Just completed my 8 camera setup with blue iris

4 x 4MP cams
1 x 8MP cam
1 x 6MP cam
all at 15 fps ( would ideally want 20 at least later when I upgrade my computer)

anyway I have a laptop in the kitchen hooked to a monitor and RDP to the PC thats running BI to display the 8 camera live feed

I noticed when I plug in a monitor directly to the PC thats running Blue Iris the 8 camera live feed plays back ok without pauses and lag and plays pretty much at the 15 fps

The laptop however would be a little jerky and pause every couple of seconds through RDP. I checked the speed of the laptop ethernet port and its only 100Mb/s

I have another laptop that has a faster NIC and I noticed through RDP it did not perform like the laptop thats currently hooked up to the monitor

I need the 2nd laptop for work reasons but will do a test when I finish work.

I am wondering from anyones experience if 1GB/s NICs is a noticable difference to have an RDP session connected to their main NVR for live feed?

Last edited:

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What resolution are you doing for RDP? The higher the resolution, the more bandwidth RDP requires. Having said that, RDP doesn't consume that much BW (much less than 100M)

A laptop with a 100M nic may be older and less powerful than the laptop with a 1G nic. Your laptop with the 100M nic may not have enough horsepower.

RDP was not meant for watching remote videos (although it works fine if the fps is not too high and the hardware supports it - especially on a local network with low latency).

Johnman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
why not use the BI webserver?

EDIT:
View attachment 61855
UI3?
Because the layout is crap. I opened another thread about that and people said there its by design and or I just have to live with it for the moment
It was about the cameras not taking all the realestate of the monitor. Making them pretty small. I dont have a massive monitor so its a bit crap

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
UI3?
Because the layout is crap. I opened another thread about that and people said there its by design and or I just have to live with it for the moment
It was about the cameras not taking all the realestate of the monitor. Making them pretty small. I dont have a massive monitor so its a bit crap
Its only "crap" because you dont understand unless the software skews and alters the image it wont fit on the monitor correctly unless all your cameras are the same image format. You can mitigate this by positioning the cameras in a way to maximize the space available.