Would anyone be willing to have a phone chat about setting up a vpn?

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hey guys ,

Would anyone be willing to have a phone chat about the ins/outs of setting up a vpn/remote viewing options? im currently ordering a system from Andy and trying to get an understanding of how this will work / setup once the gear arrives. I can pay-pal a few bucks for your time. im just going to order a basic system so shouldn't be too complicated. if anyone is interested PM me your number and ill give you a call at a time that works for you. thanks.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Mike, yes I did. still had a couple specific questions. thanks.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks @Mike , just thought it was easier to have a 5 min phone convo then ramble on, and annoy people here :p

Anyway,

I want to understand how to view the cameras remotely. I plan to get a router with a built in VPN.

should I buy a NVR with POE or without? from what I understand if it has POE it will be harder to access the cameras remotely?

So in order to access the cameras remotely I will enter the IP address of my router in the browser. At this point I will enter the login details of the VPN I have previously setup to enter the home network.

Now I should have access to the router as if I was at home, and see all the devices on the network, but I dont see how that will let me have access to the NVR menus / cameras?

If I had each camera on the network (all have individual IP's) and powered by a switch I guess I could access each camera individually for a live view? but still wouldn't have any NVR access / playback features etc?

complete noob here, thanks for your patience.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Whether or not an NVR has POE or not does not make a difference as far as remote viewing. Just as easy to access remotely as an NVR that does not have a POE. Before I dive in, do you plan on running the wires yourself? Are you going to crimp the wires? What is your goal and plan?

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks mike,

All the wires are already run and rj45's crimped on. the plan is just a simple but reliable 4 camera system at my home.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks mike,

All the wires are already run and rj45's crimped on. the plan is just a simple but reliable 4 camera system at my home.
If you just want to run 4 cams look at DW spectrum ipvms. 70 per camera (B&H photo). It includes an encrypted cloud service for remote viewing. Will run on a 100 dollar i5-3470 pc. Outside north america its sold as NX witness. Here is an explanation of the cloud service.
Nx Witness | Cloud

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks mike,

Okay so that's a step in the right direction. Everything can be a bit confusing but it's really not that bad. You could go the real easy route and get an IPCT 8 channel NVR and 4 IPCT cameras. You could also get Dahua starlight cameras and / or use Blue Iris (which is a more robust recorder) and a dedicated PC to record.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.