Would this server work?

js61283

n3wb
Reaction score
I own a business that currently uses Blue Iris for all our cameras. I run 18 1080p cameras on 2 separate desktops (so 9 cameras each) and that's about all I can get before the CPU usage maxes out. Both computers run i5-4430s.

We're opening a new facility and will likely run more more cameras (maybe in the 30 range). Our new place has a server rack, so I'm really wanting to take advantage and host this stuff on a server if possible. Even if that server is simply running Windows 10. Anyhow, here's the server I'm looking at:

2U 64-bit Server with 2xQuad-Core E5540 Xeon 2.53GHz + 16GB RAM + 8x146GB

Would this run more cameras than our current rigs? It's very inexpensive refurbished, at around $250. I wouldn't hesitate to run 2 of these, if you guys think they'll handle it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No, it would most likely run fewer while consuming at least twice as much power.

Your best option is an i7-7700K, though i7-7700 can be found used much more readily and for less money without all that much slower clock speed.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I own a business that currently uses Blue Iris for all our cameras. I run 18 1080p cameras on 2 separate desktops (so 9 cameras each) and that's about all I can get before the CPU usage maxes out. Both computers run i5-4430s.

We're opening a new facility and will likely run more more cameras (maybe in the 30 range). Our new place has a server rack, so I'm really wanting to take advantage and host this stuff on a server if possible. Even if that server is simply running Windows 10. Anyhow, here's the server I'm looking at:

2U 64-bit Server with 2xQuad-Core E5540 Xeon 2.53GHz + 16GB RAM + 8x146GB

Would this run more cameras than our current rigs? It's very inexpensive refurbished, at around $250. I wouldn't hesitate to run 2 of these, if you guys think they'll handle it.
also note that there is no reason why 9 1080p cameras would max out your processor...ensure direct to disk and hardware acceleration is enabled on all cams..

js61283

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I kind of assumed it would be better since it has 2 processors, but obviously I'm a n00b. Is the i7-7700k going to have a big performance difference over a 4770k? Enough to justify the cost difference? I can get a build with a 4770k for around $400 with 16gb ram pretty easy.

Regarding my current setups, they are set up for direct to disk and I believe hardware acceleration is enabled, but it's using on-board video so would this really matter? I will try limiting the frames. The reason I haven't, is we use the footage to review incidents between dogs (fights, etc). It's necessary to see small changes in their body language, which can happen very quickly, in order to better train the staff. But I'll give 10fps a shot and see if it's smooth enough for our purposes. Thanks again!

HEVNBND

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Why not use a new i7-8700??? You would get 6 cores instead of 4.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, it would most likely run fewer while consuming at least twice as much power.

Your best option is an i7-7700K, though i7-7700 can be found used much more readily and for less money without all that much slower clock speed.
I find this odd that you say it would run half the number of cameras. I understand that it would likely consume more power. I run 2 X Intel Xeon E5520 in my server. I currently only have 3 cameras @15fps but my CPU usage is a whopping 5%.

js61283

n3wb
Reaction score
I find this odd that you say it would run half the number of cameras. I understand that it would likely consume more power. I run 2 X Intel Xeon E5520 in my server. I currently only have 3 cameras @15fps but my CPU usage is a whopping 5%.
I'd like to hear some other opinions if anyone would like to contribute. Sounds like Philip is having success with 2 x intel xeons. Why is this worse than using an i7?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like to hear some other opinions if anyone would like to contribute. Sounds like Philip is having success with 2 x intel xeons. Why is this worse than using an i7?
They are HUGE power hogs and will cost more to run than a new system...they will also start choking on high res cameras...hes running low res cams and likely keeps the interface minimized....

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Why not use a new i7-8700??? You would get 6 cores instead of 4.
Note that Coffee Lake-S will require new MOBO's with the new Z370 Chipset, so that will probably command a premium over the 7th generation of core processors. Whether or not the performance difference will matter with BI and what the cost/benefit analysis would be, I will leave to the experts to comment on:

Intel Arbitrarily Breaks Coffee Lake Compatibility With Z270 Forcing Users To Buy New Z370 Motherboards

js61283

n3wb
Reaction score
I probably will wait on 8700s actually. Seems to make sense since the price isn't changing much.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was thinking the new MOBO's may be a majority of the price increase, but we shall see. Will keep my eye on Dell to see what happens or if they unload older systems at a discounted pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It looks like my suspicion is correct through the end of this year:

But Intel isn't providing backward compatibility with either of the older LGA1151 motherboards (Z170 and Z270) and, curiously, your only upgrade path through the end of the year comes in the form of pricey Z370 motherboards—value-oriented B350 or H370 motherboards will not debut until next year.

No, Coffee Lake Will Not Run In Z270 Motherboards (And Here’s Why)