Would using a small SSD to run the OS and store new clips speed things up?

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I currently have BI set up to use about 2.7TB of my 3TB drive, leaving about 60GB of space on my hard drive at any given time. Disk utilization also reaches 100% every few minutes (I assume that's when BI does it's file cleanup/archiving). If I attempt to play back clips when disk is at 100%, things are very slow to respond and I would sometimes get dropped frames on the new recordings (mostly for the HD cameras). CPU utilization hovers around 30% and most of my cameras are set to record directly to disc.

1st question: Should I be leaving more than 60GB of space on my drive? Is my hard drive so filled up therefore causing dropped frames when I try to do something else on the computer?

2nd question: Will it speed things up and eliminate the dropped frame issue if I get a cheap 128GB SSD and run the OS and use it to store the new clips, and then move them over to the 3TB Purple drive for archival? With my setup I can only store about 8 hours of clips on the small SSD, so most of the clips will be on the Purple drive.

Here is my setup
WD Purple 3TB
Core i7 2600
8GB RAM
10 cameras set to record constantly (6 - 1.2MP, and 4 - .3MP)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Never use cheap ssds....you can get a crucial mx300 for 69 dollars 275gb....i cant find the spec on the 275gb but the 750 has a write endurance of 220tb....so even if you record 3tb a month you are looking at 6 years of use...most ssd's can write WAY more than their endurance rating...

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Never use cheap ssds....you can get a crucial mx300 for 69 dollars 275gb....i cant find the spec on the 275gb but the 750 has a write endurance of 220tb....so even if you record 3tb a month you are looking at 6 years of use...most ssd's can write WAY more than their endurance rating...
That's a decent price for 275GB.

luder888

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got a Samsung 120GB, installed it for the OS and the New folder. Wow what a difference, I feel like I can do a million things on the PC when BI is running!