Writing to two HDs

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When setting up recording I have the option to choose one folder or HD. Is it possible to write the same video to two HDs? Or should I just run a Raid 1 Drive (two drives mirrored) and have the redundancy done with RAID?

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im really trying to decide how to have backup. Obviously RAID is not backup, but redundancy for drive failure. How else could I backup the saved BI video?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why would you even need a backup at all...? You're talking hours and hours of saved video to sort through to find a specific event. My NVR can save up to two weeks of video before it overwrites again, but I've never had a need to go back that far to find something. You could use a NAS storage device but would need lots of HDD space.

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
1. you can have second copy on SD card in camera.. SD card must be endurance type (like Samsung Endurance) for 24/7 writing application..

2. Higher models of NVR (like Dahua 6xx) have RAID capabilities..

3. on some models of NVR You have option to write video files to two different disk groups in parallel.

4. Most NVR have option to schedule upload of new video files over FTP or SFTP to some server...

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When setting up recording I have the option to choose one folder or HD. Is it possible to write the same video to two HDs? Or should I just run a Raid 1 Drive (two drives mirrored) and have the redundancy done with RAID?

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why would you even need a backup at all...? You're talking hours and hours of saved video to sort through to find a specific event. My NVR can save up to two weeks of video before it overwrites again, but I've never had a need to go back that far to find something. You could use a NAS storage device but would need lots of HDD space.
I need some redundancy in case of drive failure or whatever else may occur. Either way I need to backup my saved video.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
1. you can have second copy on SD card in camera.. SD card must be endurance type (like Samsung Endurance) for 24/7 writing application..
SD card isn’t enough, I need about 50tb of video backed up.

2. Higher models of NVR (like Dahua 6xx) have RAID capabilities..
I am using BI.

3. on some models of NVR You have option to write video files to two different disk groups in parallel.

4. Most NVR have option to schedule upload of new video files over FTP or SFTP to some server...

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I went through his list and I have to break most of his rules.Im saving 365 days of video.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A little more info.

Using Blue Iris (don't ask me to change please, I like BI)

i7-14700
64gb DDR5
1 TB NVME OS and BI Drive
4 TB NVME HD for other needs
(Nvidia GPU, but thats to push to a larager 4k monitor)

Planning to use a Sabrent 10 Bay enclosure.
(Six cameras need to save 365 days of video/ audio)
I wil use six 10tb WD Purple drives to record each of those cameras to for the 365 video.
I will use the other four bays with 18tb WD Purple drives To save video for 30 other cameras. (These cameras have no time saved requirement)

I would like to backup the six drives somehow. I don’t believe BI will write to two separate drives for the same video. I have debated using NAS, DAS, and other options. Im a bit spin up how to best back this footage.

One idea was to run each of those cameras in a RAID 1 on Two-bay daisy chained thunderbolt enclosures. If one drive goes bad, then I can hot swap the bad drive. The problem is thats still not real backup, just protection from drive failure.

Is there software I can run that will backup those six drives weekly or nightly?

I have a few other ideas also but let’s start with this. Thank you!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can clone the cameras and write to two locations....or simply run raid 1. This will only be useful for drive failure which is very rare.
Your bigger problem is relying on USB for an always on connection - you will have issues...
Yes backup software does exist...google it.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can clone the cameras and write to two locations....or simply run raid 1. This will only be useful for drive failure which is very rare.
Your bigger problem is relying on USB for an always on connection - you will have issues...
Yes backup software does exist...google it.
I did google but with all the spam stuff I just dont know enough to know what software is legit or not. I’m open to suggestions. I can also do some research on other forums that specialize in NAS And backup.

I did not think of cloning the camera, that is a great idea! Each cloned camera can record to a different drive Giving me some redundancy.

I would use thunderbolt connected drives.That is a strong connection used by movie studios and large DAS drives already. USB 2 on the other hand would not be smart.

Lastly, I was originally gonna use Synology NAS for backup. But I learned they have locked down their NAS to only Synology HDs. Example: 18tb Synology drive is $650. Based on cost and principle I wont be using them. Terramaster and QNap just don’t have great NAS options yet.

danweber1

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your requirements actually are or if all of what you've said is just wants. However if your requirements are actually that stringent you can't cheap out on stuff and use thunderbolt. You need a real San or Nas, and use 2 of them for redundancy/back up. Use iscsi to connect to the BI machine for storage.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did google but with all the spam stuff I just dont know enough to know what software is legit or not. I’m open to suggestions. I can also do some research on other forums that specialize in NAS And backup.

I did not think of cloning the camera, that is a great idea! Each cloned camera can record to a different drive Giving me some redundancy.

I would use thunderbolt connected drives.That is a strong connection used by movie studios and large DAS drives already. USB 2 on the other hand would not be smart.

Lastly, I was originally gonna use Synology NAS for backup. But I learned they have locked down their NAS to only Synology HDs. Example: 18tb Synology drive is $650. Based on cost and principle I wont be using them. Terramaster and QNap just don’t have great NAS options yet.
No....Synology did not lock down their NAS units to only use Synology HDD's because I just set up a brand new DSM923+ this week with Seagate Red Wolf 16TB drives and it works fine.. They do insist that you use their brand of SSD drives if you want support, but even that isn't mandatory.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I always thought QNAP to be OK, why are they no longer cool ?
Synology is still king when it comes to NAS management software and running various apps, plus they have an established long track record history of reliability. Given the high cost investment of NAS units, product reliability and manufacturer support are critical elements.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
No....Synology did not lock down their NAS units to only use Synology HDD's because I just set up a brand new DSM923+ this week with Seagate Red Wolf 16TB drives and it works fine.. They do insist that you use their brand of SSD drives if you want support, but even that isn't mandatory.
the WD Purple 18 or 22 TB are not on their compatibility list. It will work but no customer support or and no warranty.

They do allow a limited selection of 3rd party but it appears to be getting smaller. There are forums after forums that discuss their change in business plan.

It bums me out because I knew they were the king of NAS and that was my original plan. Not anymore.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm not sure what your requirements actually are or if all of what you've said is just wants. However if your requirements are actually that stringent you can't cheap out on stuff and use thunderbolt. You need a real San or Nas, and use 2 of them for redundancy/back up. Use iscsi to connect to the BI machine for storage.
I was not under the impression that a thunderbolt 2-bay enclosure on raid 1 was cheating out. They are about $200-300 each from OWC. Mobius has one at $160, that’s probably the cheapest. But Daisy chained thunderbolt devices appear to be solid and high transfer rates.

Pyrofighting

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you will 100 percent have issues...I personally guarantee it. Drives should be locally installed on the server.
My current setup uses a cheap 5 bay Sabrent hooked up with USB 3.2. Each bay has a 12tb WD Purple. This has been working for me for 6 years. Obviously I know you know more than I do, but what problems would this cause?

Or am I misunderstanding you and you are saying not to use network storage devices that aren’t directly connected to the main computer?

Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The theoretical transfer speed of USB 3.0 is 4.8 Gbit/s (600MBps) and when I tested it with 2 cameras for the live recording, it started stalling after 25min. It can't keep up with the sustained, non-buffering of video cameras.

It can even struggle with moving already recorded video over.

So here is a real-world demonstration. I was trying to move roughly 260GB of data.

1707679334607.png

I was moving it from a WD Purple (750 MBps) through a USB 3.0 (625MBps) port to another WD Purple HDD (750MBps)

At first it said it would take about 2 hours to move 260GB, but look how fast it dropped to a transfer of 37.7MB/s

1707679646228.png

Two hours came and went. About 6 hours later, the speed had dropped to less than 2 MB/s.

260 GB (260,000 MB) should have taken 416 seconds or less than 7 minutes at the theoretical speeds.

1707679739436.png

Those speeds just are not going to cut it for live recording of non buffering video.

BI 5.7.2 added a feature that tracks the aggregate MB/s being recorded to each drive. When files are MOVED from one drive to another, this rate is also calculated. When doing continuous recording and archiving files to a NAS, you will want to make sure the recording rate does not exceed the rate at which may be moved.

Some say they work just fine, but I suspect they simply haven't had an incident happen yet where they found out they are missing recordings.

It is probably OK for already recorded video and transferring off, but sending a live stream will inevitably cause problems.

Last edited: