X10 cameras?

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way to capture a composite video feed from an old X10 camera setup into BI? My dad has two X10 cameras and we wanted to use their video signals in BI... if there's not a cheap way to do this - I guess I know what he'll be getting for Christmas this year! :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. The only way to do this is with a capture card that works with blue iris like some bluecherry cards...the cost of the card is greater than two hikvision replacement cameras that will give him way better picture than the x10...time to go Christmas shopping..:D

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
hikvision huh? I haven't heard of those yet... always learning something new! I've had good luck with foscam cameras - is that unusual?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, foscam is subpar, stay away...Check out the hikvision cameras like the 2332 or 2032...both use POE so you just need a poe switch and dont have to run separate cable for power.

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I need to stay wireless though. Too many remote locations where no wires exist... The samsung smartcam has an amazing picture and I think it's far underrated when it's paired up with blue iris :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
i would encourage you to run cable...its can be done at minimal cost yourself or hire a pro and they can fish wire to places you could only dream of...
OR you can use a wired camera with a power line adapter or worst case with a wireless bridge...

gleep52

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I understand the value of wired connections - but this is a hobby for me and my dad, not a business or production environment... but I do like buying quality stuff. Always looking for the evolution train in the IP cam market :)

The wireless environment allows us to move our limited number of cameras around the house and such as well without worrying about physical wired hookups... so its easier for what we aim for, but superior picture quality and features sway the pros and cons ;)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand, well then using a powerline adapter or wireless bridge will allows you to select from a broad range of quality cameras..

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Too many remote locations where no wires exist...
If that was true, you wouldn't be planning to put cameras there. Every camera is physically wired to power, and you can usually use the same power lines for network data. Search for powerline networking adapters.

Note that powerline networking is not perfect. It has a lot of limitations similar to a WiFi system. A lot of factors, like the noise levels generated by other devices plugged in to power, will reduce speed. Another problem for some people is when they have more than one breaker box they find the signal can't go from one to the other. My "500 Mbps" kit only achieved 40 Mbps actual speed in my home with only one breaker box. Still is better than WiFi, though!

Remember everything on WiFi is a source of interference for everything else on WiFi. The fewer devices you have using it, the better. Analog cameras like x10 are actually worse than WiFi IP cameras in this regard. They use the same 2.4ghz radio frequencies, but they are analog so they typically use a huge piece of the available radio spectrum and they transmit 100% of the time without ever stopping. Just one or two analog wireless cameras can make WiFi unusable in the area. The same can happen with WiFi cameras, too, but it usually takes more cameras to render a system completely unusable.