Xfinity compatible modem advice

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, finally convinced the wife to ditch the home phone and save us over $50 a month. That being said I’d like to purchase my own gigabit modem and save the $13 rental as well.

any suggestions on a good one to get?

I would be keeping my Apple router as it works fine for now, vpn is through the synology NAS.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
:)
So, finally convinced the wife to ditch the home phone and save us over $50 a month. That being said I’d like to purchase my own gigabit modem and save the $13 rental as well.

any suggestions on a good one to get?

I would be keeping my Apple router as it works fine for now, vpn is through the synology NAS.
What make/model do you have now?
Since there are cable modems and DSL modems in use all across the U.S. it would help with the advice to be offered here. Some are unfamiliar with xFinity. :)

BTW, there's this ==>> Using Approved Third-Party Equipment for Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Voice

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
:)
What make/model do you have now?
Since there are cable modems and DSL modems in use all across the U.S. it would help with the advice to be offered here. Some are unfamiliar with xFinity. :)

BTW, there's this ==>> Using Approved Third-Party Equipment for Xfinity Internet and Xfinity Voice
I have whatever the latest xfi one is. I don’t even know who makes it for them. I found this info on my account page...Technicolor CGM4140COM. Not sure how helpful that is. This one

Last edited:

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So played around on xfinity's site and came up with the following 5 that they say work with their network. I'll have to do some reading on docsis. But of the five what is recommended. I don’t need voice or a router, leaning toward the Arris sb8200, or the Motorola mb8600.
171B93A1-7874-42CC-91C7-0A31F2AD5AAE.png

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would go with just a modem, non of the other fancy stuff. Motorola and Netgear has always been a good option for me.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I purchased an Arris tg1682 on ebay about 2 years ago for about $90.00, set it to bridge / passthrough mode. I use an use a Asus router that supports OpenVPN. Been a comcat / xfinity customer for a very long time. Set up was no problems .

It took me a while to get the bridge mode set correctly,

Todd Schmidt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a word of advice. Stay away from any of the cable modems that use the Puma chipset. They have known issues, speed, dropouts, etc.
how do you know what chip they use? I just ordered the netgear cm1000 as I found a good deal on it.

edit: never mind found it. All 3 that I was comparing use a Broadcom chip.

Last edited:
Reaction score
how do you know what chip they use? I just ordered the netgear cm1000 as I found a good deal on it.

edit: never mind found it. All 3 that I was comparing use a Broadcom chip.
The Netgear CM1000 is a very good choice. It will last for a long time, and still hold resale value if you need to get rid of it.

erensfd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been using a Motorola MB7420 with XFinity (earlier version of the MB8600 in your list) for the last 3 years without any issues. One negative is that it released a plastic smell during the first few months.

I’m not an expert, but I stay away from gateway type devices. My modem, router (Ubiquiti ER-Lite) and APs (Ubiquiti AC-HD) are all separate devices.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been using the SB8200 for years now. No issues.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have Gigabit service from xFinity and I'm getting close to that with my SB8200.

One thing to note, the ISP is in control of rolling out the modem's firmware and Comcast/xFinity seems a little slow getting theirs out. The SB8200 has two WAN ethernet ports and I (along with many others) have found that using both in LACP to possibly get faster speeds have been buggy...so, only one cable to my router. Really, that's been my only complaint. It's been a solid modem.

Attachments