Xmas porch pirate team 12/23

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
car drives by, backs up and parks. woman gets out, goes on our porch and takes a recently delivered package, calls her buddy to get picked up and off they go.
You can see she's trying to keep her face covered as she approaches the house literally bristling with cameras. There's a "smile you're on camera" sign right where the package was, too.
Police report filed. Package contained a skateboard helmet for one of my kids. Delivery guy failed to place place package in drop box. Amazon will replace...
videos and stills here: porch pirate 12/23
LPR cams identify the car and plates: red VW Passat CA License plate 4RYV023

View attachment fr_door1.20191223_161102_1.mp4

View attachment lpwest.20191223_160137_1.mp4

View attachment lpeast.20191223_160129_1.mp4

View attachment fw_detail.20191223_160517_1.mp4

Attachments

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
thanx. I get 'em coming and going at about 100ft, 40 degree angle with a couple of Huisun Mini PTz's about 20 ft off the ground...

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Are the police going to do anything since you got their license plate?

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
they should rot in jail.. hope it was an expensive pacakge

Reaction score
There is no way that package was seen from the street as they drove by. In the lpeast video, she is looking through some kind of paper. I wonder if it is a list of delivery addresses.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is no way that package was seen from the street as they drove by. In the lpeast video, she is looking through some kind of paper. I wonder if it is a list of delivery addresses.
A forum member posted a video capture in 2018 or 2017 where it shows a vehicle following a FedEx truck into, then out of, a cul-de-sac area. I heard recently where a savvy UPS driver noticed someone following him for too long, in/out of neighborhood, etc. Call local LEO and they snagged 'em with loot in the vehicle.

Last edited:

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
so, the package was partially visibile on the first driveby (angled from the street) which is why they backed up and grabbed it.
but yeah, some of the other footage seem to show the passenger rifling thru mail/packages they already grabbed.
totally opportunistic a-holes. I generally have things delivered to my office for exactly this reason, but I was gonna be home
for a few days, so this one came here, and even tho i think it would have fit in our dropbox, the delivery guy didn't seem to give it a thought...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
exactly. I file the report and hope they can do something. if they had other similar reports, and/or if the vehicle was stolen, then there's a better shot of this helping the a-holes get what they deserve...
At the very least. I hope they were disappointed to find a kid's skateboard helmet in the box instead of some hi-tech gizmo they can re-sell...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
car drives by, backs up and parks. woman gets out, goes on our porch and takes a recently delivered package, calls her buddy to get picked up and off they go.
You can see she's trying to keep her face covered as she approaches the house literally bristling with cameras. There's a "smile you're on camera" sign right where the package was, too.
Police report filed. Package contained a skateboard helmet for one of my kids. Delivery guy failed to place place package in drop box. Amazon will replace...
videos and stills here: porch pirate 12/23
LPR cams identify the car and plates: red VW Passat CA License plate 4RYV023
Nice captures @pozzello

Are you able to ID anything on her phone when she dials it on your porch?
Android? iPhone? ...

Reaction score
looks like she dials her getaway driver, would be cool if there had been enough resolution to make out the number. Unfortunately. "enhancing" it didn't work. ;)

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
pretty sure she just had her guy on speed-dial, so no numbers to be gleaned there, even with higher rez...

I've considered some sort of bluetooth or cell phone ID system that gets info about any active phone in range, but obviously, there are some complications there...

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@pozzello - nice job documenting the theft. What a bunch of dirt bags. Scum of the earth. Hope they get caught, even if it ends up being a misdemeanor in CA.
What was the point of her first ringing the bell. Seems very odd. Why not just grab and go as fast as possible?
What time was the box dropped off by vs the time stamp on your video?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Package sat on porch about 40 min after UPS driver left it, so I don't think they were just following the ups truck, tho the USPS carrier came just a few minutes before the theft so they may have been tailing her...
We had all gone to see the new Star Wars movie.

windguy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Package sat on porch about 40 min after UPS driver left it, so I don't think they were just following the ups truck, tho the USPS carrier came just a few minutes before the theft so they may have been tailing her...
We had all gone to see the new Star Wars movie.
That new Star Wars movie is turning out to be bad luck. Between Deer Hunter TonyR and you being ripped off.
In my area Amazon delivers with their own blue vans or via USPS. I don't think they use UPS or FedEx much anymore. Maybe it varies by area.

What's your take on why she rang the bell?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Reviewed the footage again and it WAS an Amazon delivery guy, not UPS. my bad. timing remains the same tho.

I have no idea why she rang the bell. trying to make it seem like she had some reason to be there, for any neighbors watching?
if home, we would have answered eventually, but probably not before she took off the the box.

Only the best and the brightest resort to such a profession, i suppose. I get the feeling she was just a puppet for the guy in the
car, who was withholding her crack or Oxy until she helped him steal a load of packages...

Thinking of ways to get a cam or three installed on the OTHER side of the road to better ID drivers moving in that direction
(i generally can get a useable face in the Westbound direction, but Eastbound the driver is on the far side of the car...)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the cops can't do anything with that much video and an LPR shot then idk whats left to do.
Start attending every city council meeting, speak up every visit. Call your city council man for your district. Camp in the mayors office. Camp in the Police chiefs office. Become a pain in the cities ass. Call the local prosecutor. They work for YOU.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.
Recently saw a news report where a porch pirate was arrested, and they found over 200 packages in his house.